Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Equal opportunity fishing
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at renting some property on I. Lake for vacation. Hoping to get some input from people I trust-OGF'ers. Someone give me the goods...will it be worth my while, is it a good lake,a great lake, fair, you tell me! Really need to know as I want to get my reservation in soon. I'm looking at the 1/2 acre island for rent...sounds great to me!! Someone tell me their opinion on this lake as I'm from Canton. Email or private message, whatever, please let me hear from ya....my 5 kids are counting on you!!

·
Relaxing.
5,750 Posts
Snake what are you planning to do there for vacation fish, ski, tube, fun. May help people answer your question.

I have only been on the lake one time. Its a big lake and i like it but scares the crap out of me as its very shallow In alot of places. If you have been on the lake alot iam sure you would get used to it but as a first timer your going to be worried and a little scared to run.

·
Registered
404 Posts
the lake is shallow but take it easy and learn the lake and you will be o.k. as far as fishing it is fair with good numbers of pan fish and s-eyes good cat fishing and bass can be good. I have not seen alot of people skiing or tubing and if your going to fish that is a plus. all in all it is a good fishing lake but it will have its slow times you can check out www.indianlake.com hope this helps.

·
Registered
130 Posts
For a family, you can't beat Indian lake in my opinion. My grandpartents had a place on Sasafrass Point on the north side of I.L. Some of my fondest memories from my childhood and teenage years were up there at the lake. It is a great place with a ton of stuff to do for all ages. The lake is shallow, so you do have to use caution when boating.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Snake, I live in Columbus but make the run to Indian every chance I can, bypassing Buckeye, Alum and Hoover. Overall a great saugeye, cat and crappie lake. It is shallow so it does get pretty rough at times. If I had the chanxe to rent an island on it I would. It does get crowded on weekends in the summer but plenty of places to get out of the boat traffic. Lot of good restaurants right on the water.

·
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After posting this, I pulled up an ODNR map of the lake and thought it couldn't possibly be correct as it showed a lake about 5-10 deep in most of the lake! I would be there from Mon-Fri, so traffic would be a little slower. I did plan on fishing alot and still making it a family affair. Like most kids, mine love the water!! I have two boats, and had planned on bringing the 16ft'er as it's has the Lowrance 552 on it, loaded with the Navionics chip of the lakes! I do have a smaller boat, a 12 ft that I could bring instead. Hmmm....will have to kick this around another week or so. I don't usually go to this section, so if anyone thinks of anything they want to add, please send me a message. I do believe I'll still be coming down, it sounds too good to pass up. Thank you all for responding.....

·
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Even going slow, do you think I have to worry about bottoming out? Is this map on ODNR accurate? I mean, it basically shows 4 to 6 ft for a good majority of the lake...is that really possible for a near 5000 acre lake? Unbelieveable!!! I'm really hoping the map is a bit outdated and the lake is a good 2-4 ft deeper. I've pretty much made up my mind that this is where I want to go, but still........? You guys have been fantastic so far, so a little more won't hurt..!;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wouldn't do it with an I/O but I've seen it done. LAst year I saw a cabin cruiser all of 25' really turning some mud, NOT SMART .

Stay in the middle of the channels to the main water. Once there you'll be fine, common sense stuff, closer to an island it'll get shallower, if there's other boats there similar to yours you can tell where they're at=you can too, etc

Good luck!

·
Set The Hook!
2,177 Posts
If you idle in the no wake were you are supposed to you shoul;d be fine. People get in trouble when they are idling to fast in areas that you aren't suppposed to. In 20 years of fishing that lake I have hit a sump one time, because I was not paying attention

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am from Canton also snake but born and raised not to far from Indian Lake. My parents still live in Logan Co. and my motherinlaw lives on Turkeyfoot, Indian Lake. Every chance I get I take my 16fter back to Indian and fish with my father. During the week the lake is slow and not too many people on there. My cousin trolls the lake a lot looking to saugeyes and does really well through out the week. The weekends are different though in the summer. My father and I know to not fish after 11:00 am unless we want to hit a jet skier or if we want to get bothered by someone cutting us off. Most of the time we head for the channels to fish. Moundwood area to Dreambridge area is great for fishing because it's about 10' average in depth, but as for the rest of the lake, the DNR map is accurate. In the later summer months if the water is really low then you REALLY need to watch where you are going because it is a man made lake for the most part. My mother in laws boyfriend bass fishes the local tournament all the time, Acheson's, and does come in with his limit. All in all it is a great place to go because I look forward to everytime we plan on going back to visit the folks. Go for it!;)

·
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
;) Well, after reading all that, I do feel a bit safer. The island is supposed to be called Oak Island. The map says Red Oak Island. Maybe over the years people just omitted the "Red" in their everyday talk. Anyhow, that's the island I'm looking to rent. I've heard very good things about this lake for years, especially relating to the saugeye I believe. I noticed in a recent issue of Outdoor News, a fella had caught an 8 lb saugeye in Feb. Sweet!! I may get back to some of ya's as we get closer to the vacation, if that's OK. We're not going down tilll the end of August, just about the time school goes back. That and the fact it'll be during the week should make it ok on the water. The only downfall will be the temp of the water, that may hurt somewhat. Oh well, ya can't have it all!! Great bunch on here, thanks.....

·
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyone from here gonna be down that way to show me around? Like I said earlier, it'll be the week of August 19th thru August 26th. As we all know, there is always some spots/areas better than others. Will appreciate any and all tips/help/pointers/advice! Thanks in advance....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts