Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guy's it has slowed down tremendously in the spillway ! My brother and I fished the spillway and Moundwood today from noon to about 5:00pm, not even a bite ! Seen one saugeye caught that was barely a keeper just south of the twin bridges , that was it . Strong North to Northwest wind and cold , cold cold!! Temperature was doable , wind chill just cut right through you. Water level in the spillway was normal pool , several guys wading in the middle and throwing crankbaits , I seen nothing caught. If I go back soon, it will be at night and fish the chanells that have some wind blowing in . If you have a boat, I think your odds would be better than the spillway ? Wish I had a better report , sorry .

Keep fishin' :B

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Redhunter , it is about a 90 mile roung trip for me and it certainly was wasted today !!

Keep fishin !!

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
What Fear No Fish said was right on!! Tuff fishing conditions all over lake i hit 9 spots on every end of lake got 4 spikes about 13-14" each. Then Matt showed up with his boat and boating was no better probably COLDER!! Wow it was brutal. No fish from boat tried throwing jigs drifting them vibees cranks did not matter. To top off the bad report guess what the water temps were at? 41-42 degrees every where we went!! Was 66-59 degrees on Monday afternoon!! Now that is as drastic as it gets!! Even saugeyes had to find ther thermals after this!! Will take couple days of calm weather with little wind to get them uswed to it and active again. Last fish caught that were females in lake was on Tuesday and they were nice fish all loaded still with eggs still very firm. So this cold will start them all over again. I hope that helps if you go dress warm and keep moving till you find them if you do!! :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fishslim, was that your truck and trailer setting at the ramp at Moundwood ?
Only one in the parking lot ?

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
No we went out of Lakeview ramp. Saw that one sittingthere though when i was over there fishing for awhile i did not fish moundwood channel. Was it crystal clear or what!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point Fishslim , I could not believe the water clarity at Moundwood ? We pulled in the lot at the ramp and I got excited, wind blowing in , clear water , I told my brother if the wind has blown the shad in here we will get them , absolutely nothing ? This cold weather has really shut those fish down, when the water temp. starts back up , look out !

Keep fishin' :T

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
My son & I fished the spillway for 3 hours yesterday ;caught 2 about 15-16", snagged a huge white sucker, & froze our butts off. It was awful tough compared to Tuesday night when we got 18 fish (4 keepers). It will be a few days before things settle down & improve. Think I'll just work on installing my new depth finder and wait for it to warm up a little !!
Tim

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
T-180 , I think I will do the same , I have a few maintenance items on my boat to catch up on ! What kind of new graph did you purchase ?

Keep fishin'

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Fear n.f.,
I picked up an Eagle 320 ; not exactly what I wanted , but was within the budget !! The Lowrance X-55 that I got new with my boat died on me, so I needed something pretty quickly. I really had my heart set on a Lowrance X-125 but, with a son in college, the Eagle @ $129 (at Dick's) looked pretty darn good & they let me use the $10 coupon!!! Even though it's a "cheap" finder, it's probably as good or better than the X-55 & I never had any problems finding what I needed with it. Now if we can just get rid of the snow and 20 degree temps !!!
Tight lies,
Tim

·
Where's Waldo?
1,131 Posts
I've used an Eagle 320 for two seasons and it is trouble-free. My next one will be color, but I don't think you can beat the Eagles for the money. I've also got one in college (last of three) so I know the pain.

See you out there.

MC

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
BlueBoat98,
Good to hear that the 320 works well. I've owned a couple Eagle units in the past & they've always performed very well for the price. The gps in my boat is an Eagle & it has been a great unit for 11 years now. I really like the color units too , but just couldn't swing the extra $$.
I only have one in college (1st of 2) and I know how expensive it is ....... I feel your pain, brother !!!
See ya on CJ when she settles down,
Tim

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hear you man , I have two in college right now and one is out of state ! My humminbird has decided to quit and I just want to pick up a good , economical graph until I purchase a new boat in about two or three years. Thanks for the info. , I will definetely consider an Eagle .

Keep fishin' :B

·
Muskie Addict
649 Posts
I had the Eagle 320 on my boat for the past three seasons. Excellent price (even when it was newer 3yr's ago), painted a great picture and never had a lick of trouble out of it. I recently purchased a new boat and a new sonar/gps unit with it... however, I might buy another 320 to put on the front deck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts