Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Father's day is tomorrow and my son and I are going to try to make some memories on Indian Lake. Planning on pulling some worm harnesses around the Dream bridge area. My grandson and I got alot of dinks last week but no keepers were landed. I've only fished Indian a very few times and any tips from you seasoned vets would be appreciated. Anyway, tight lines and have a safe and fun day on the water.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I will be there tomorrow also, I think we are going to try trolling some crank baits. What does your boat look like, if I see you i'll let you know how we are doing. I don't get there very often either so whatever info we could share would be nice. Good luck!

Mike

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Too windy today for me. I'm taking dad out trolling Indian tomorrow morning. Putting in at chippewa around 5:45 am. We'll be hitting the main lake. It's been a week since I trolled and I'm going through some serious withdrawals,LOL! Dad will get to try out his new Abu Garcia 5500LC with matching 8 1/2 heavy action salmon rod.

Wind is suppose to die down tonight and a nice 5mph northwest tomorrow morning.It'll help keep the bugs down. It's going to be a hot one,just hope the action starts heating up.

I'll also be in a maroon/beige Loweboat. Can't miss me with the huge white mast in the front and pulling a set of very bright dual planerboards.

If you guys have a walkie talkie,use channel 10 and give me a holler.

Main Lake: Bump the bottom occasionally.Bomber B02's been taking most of our eyes.Firecraw and Tennessee shad. Bandit 100 series in the Mad Cow has been taking a few.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Saugmon. Third time I'm trying to reply. Keep getting kicked out .
Hope this one goes through and tight lines friend.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
18" saugeye at 5:50 am at oldfield beach. Only 1 other saugeye keeper after that.Threw back over 20 dinks. Did keep a fat 11.5" perch and 12.5" crappie. 0 channelcats!!! Majority of the action was at oldfield beach and on tennessee shad Bomber B02s.

Lost 5 baits. Pretty much done at 10 am and tested some new planerboards that I made last week. The wind came at us in all directions. Sheet of glass early in the morning and action was good. Then switched 3-4 times over the next couple hrs.

Water Temp: 82

I'll be out there tomorrow morning with my dad's long time buddy. Hopefully it'll be better.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Nice to see you on the lake today Woodfish49, we ended the day catching one 12'' Crappie on a worm harness. There were a TON of people on the lake today. Sounds like from reading Saugman's post you have to be on the water pretty early.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i was out on fathers day just me and dad we started at 5 30. we got 20 dinks and one good keeper at 21''. we did have a lot of fun and played all day

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, Father's day is tomorrow and my son and I are going to try to make some memories on Indian Lake. Planning on pulling some worm harnesses around the Dream bridge area. My grandson and I got alot of dinks last week but no keepers were landed. I've only fished Indian a very few times and any tips from you seasoned vets would be appreciated. Anyway, tight lines and have a safe and fun day on the water.
Woodfish49 is my Dad and told me about this website. Well we didn't have a very productive day like he and my nephew had the previous week. We had worm harnesses out and didn't fair too well. Later in the day Dad landed a 15" eye which we tossed in the well. A little bit after that he caught a crappie which we threw back. Then all of a sudden all the fish disappeared from the area. We ended up throwing back the eye and headed home about 2pm. Still it was a nice day to be on the water.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I don't know what's going on with the indian lake saugeye. I thought the weekend was dreadful,but the last 2 day's fishing really sucked.

I took ogf member gonelong out yesterday :T. We managed in 5 hrs: 1 keeper,half a dozen dinks,and 2 channelcats.

It was so terrible,that I didn't bother wasting any gas to try again this morning,LOL~

Anywho,I'll take dad out this evening and see if our luck changes. We'll be on the water by 5 pm.

476 Posts
Saugmon

I think I saw you Monday. I have a white with blue stripe Larson. Have tried to call you on ch10 on my marine radio but not sure if it is the same as your ch10.
My sister and I started by Pew early and only caught 2 dinks, 5 cats and 2 crappie. We moved over by a stump I slammed last year (Half way between old field and lakeview ramp) and caught 10 more dinks. We used many colors of sr5 to catch all fish. Was wondering if any one has been catching any big (keeper) fish. This is the second time on the lake for me with the same results. I usually try to go to lake Erie but been wanting to keep the cost down so trying Indian.

Good luck to all.

Lima Eyecatcher
Jim

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I did see a larson out there monday. There was a couple large boats out there trolling. Monday mornings have been pretty packed out there.

Was you the one pulling 4 boards?

CB will,VHF probably not.Dad had his VHS radio worked on by a local cb shop many moons ago.They had to get a hold of another VHF radio to test it. We borrowed his buddy Bob's VHF radio and the guys at the cb shop fixed it.

Last year,was the year of the bandit 100 series. Saugeye wouldn't touch any of my bomber B02's. This year,it's the opposite. The only bandit that the saugeye will touch is Mad Cow in the 100 series. I've never caught any saugeye on a shad rap. Rattletraps,thundersticks,wallydivers,floating rapalas,cordell little O's all pulled out saugeye with mono. After the switch to spiderwire,zilch. Bandits,bomber B02s,and occasionally bomber Flat A's.

Main moon phases and lucky hats are all failing me this year,LOL!

We've got west and southwest wind for the next couple days. Maybe that'll change things up? Couldn't hurt any.

Fish On!

476 Posts
Saugmon

That was us pulling the 4 boards. All the fish we caught were to small to pull the tattel flags down. Dont know what is going on with the big fish but hope to be back down Monday and possibly Tuesday or Wednesday to try again. I normally leave Lima at 5 and arrive at Lakeview around 535 to 540. If your around give me a shout VHF68 or swing by my boat, I love sharing info to catchem. Will probaply start around the stump I mentioned in the other post them move around Pew till I find them.

Good Luck

Lima Eyecatcher
Jim

·
Registered
65 Posts
Kind of interesting. I've only fished Indian for about 4 years now but I've had the same experience with mostly catching dinks this year. Could we be running a little low on keeper sized fish? I'm an hour away so don't get up there as much as I'd like to. Would be nice to see the big ones turn on.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I think they are about done.

1) I had 86 degree water temp at around 2' below the surface. After trolling 5 hrs this morning,I sent my thermometer to the bottom of 6' water for a few minutes. Pulled it up and it said 86 degrees as well in front of oldfield/blackhawk. That is a very bad sign. I've killed them in 86 degree water,but not a few days later.

I did managed 2 saugeyes at 19" and 15.5". 2 channelcats and a fat yellow bullhead.

2) Second sign of nearing the end: Saugeye wouldn't touch a bandit or bomber Model A. I ended up throwing on a couple shallow diving Bomber Flat A's and started to get some action.

Hotter water=Bigger Baits.

Mini rattletrap yielded zilch.

I'll try again tomorrow and with Flat A's!!!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I think the saugeye are pretty much done for the summer.It's been a miserable year. Our worst day last year was still better than our best day this year.

Water Temp main lake:87

We managed 1 saugeye at 18" and 3 dinks this morning. Threw back a 23" very fat blue cat plum full of eggs and 3 other channelcats.Also threw back a 14" largemouth with a very bad mouth infection.

If I'm out there anymore,i'll be casting rattletraps over by dream bridge area.

Fish On!

·
Registered
226 Posts
My fishing partner is done for the summer (and it is HIS boat) so I was bumming thinking we were going to miss the late action. I'm glad to hear a die-hard like yourself agrees it is over.

I got my best 4 fish in the last 2 weeks (19.5, 20.5, 22.5, and 25) so I was looking forward to more. but the numbers dropped off severely. I never got a limit of keepers all spring, but I'll try again next year!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I may get out sunday morning for a last ditch hoorah! Getting some very nice fat channelcats,so at least there is some trolling action.

Wind didn't cooperate this last couple months.Day after day of east/northeast wind.Lack of rain didn't help either the last couple weeks.

The boat is trashed,needs a good cleaning.

Action was good in may but the dinks well outnumbered the good eaters.Next year should be very good. Even numbered years have always been hot,LOL!

Just have to figure out what flavor and bait that they will bite next year.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hopefully the ice fisherman won't put too many of those dinks in their buckets this winter. I've heard too many times that "they're just like jumbo perch"....Ugggh! I think the lake needs to regenerate a little even though it is a put and take fishery.

476 Posts
Sorry to hear so many are possibly done for the year. I bought my new to me boat in late July last year and hit the lake early in the mornings. I caught 2 at 4+ lbs and saw a guy 4 or 5 times that had caught his limit each day of 2+ eaters.

I will still be trolling the lake between Erie runs. Anyone looking for info give me a shout on VHF ch68. I love to share info.

Good luck

Lima Eyecatcher
Jim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts