close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

indian lake/ saugeye

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Kastmaster93, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Kastmaster93

Kastmaster93 Cleveland based fisherman

hey everyone, im goin up to indian lake this sunday for the saugeye tourney, and havent fished for them, only walleye. i was interested in knowing if anyone knew anything about them and/or the lake itself, as it will be my first time fishing there as well (about 2 hours from my house). ANY input is appreciated, thanks and good fishing.

2. The first thing you should know is that saugeye do not , or very rarely suspend in the water column. Look for areas where there is current or waves crashing into the rocks. Check points that extend out in the water, bridges with deeper water, etc. One of the best baits this time of the year will be Vib E's vertical jigged, casted, or even trolled. Jigs and minnows will also put some fish in the boat. The bite was really starting to pick up until this warm spell. The weather looks like it will cool off just in time to get them going again, See you on Sunday.

3. Kastmaster93

thank you so much thatsalimit, i appreciate you sharing your tips, especially because im new to this lake. do the cranks do any good when trolled or casted, and if so any ones in particular...? again, thank you for the help

4. I know of a few people who have been getting them trolling #5 shad raps and the small flicker shads , but I have not had much luck. Casting this time of the year will produce some fish, but I would concentrate on VIB E's and jigs. If you are more comfortable cranking then go with what you have confidence in, especially in a tournament. I am putting the tournament on, and I am glad you are making the trip. Hope this helps!!

5. Kastmaster93

okay, and thanks yes this really helps. i am excited for it, if anything it will be a good chance to try a new lake. since you say u are putting on the tournament, it says that all fish must be alive. when were are done weighing in and such, do we release the 'eyes or whats the deal? again, thanks so much

p.s. any particular colors on the Vib-Es? and you say they are not necessarily on the bottom right?
    i truly appreciate this help!

6. What I was trying to say is that you will find them on bottom or very close to the bottom. Indian lake is a very shallow lake, probably 4-6 foot average and even lower at this time. As for your fish, I am not here to tell you what to do with your fish. If you want to keep them you are welcome to, and many people probably will. Color seems to change frequently , but chartreuse is usually pretty good, and purple worked well for me last year. I would recommend 3/16 and 1/4 ounce Vibe's. Hope this helps and it will be nice to meet you Sunday.

7. jray

jray

four words of saugeye wisdom always on the bottom thats the main difference ive found between saugeye and walleye course i always fish for walleye on the bottom too cause thats where the active ones seem to be with both species but saugeye always i like silver gold and chartruese for vibes by the way hope this helps

8. Kastmaster93

thanks to both of you, and one more thing. how long do you think indian lake is from cleveland?

9. I would say no less than 3 hours, could be longer than that.

10. Kastmaster93

thanks... longer than i thought hope i can still go

11. Total garbage that this tournament is being held on the opening weekend of duck season.

12. Sorry for the conflicting date, but not everyone quits fishing to shoot ducks. I plan on letting everyone know to watch for decoys and blinds and to be considerate about where they choose to fish.

13. if you have a good drift try dragging a floating crawler harness with a few splitshot in front of it. Orange or chartruse ones with the plastic fins like the wordens walleye delight. Thats always done well for me there.

OH and... Find the shad and you find the saugeye.

14. Whaa..Quack,Quack

15. Wiper Swiper

Wiper Swiper Banned

"Total garbage that this tournament is being held on the opening weekend of duck season."

As a fisherman (and hunter) who has been verbally harrassed, physically confronted, and directly SHOT at by arrogant water fowlers...I see your condemnation as total garbage.

We're talking about public water that our "wise" D.O.W. has chosen to fill with cold water species like saugeye in an effort to attract more people to the lake. What a shock that many anglers take advantage of the opportunity to enjoy some late season action.

Look...I don't like your decoy spread all over my favorite point, but I won't stop and fish in front of your blind. I do expect that I should be able to motor past without being challenged. On Kiser I've personally witnessed duck hunters harrassing sail boaters in the middle of a sunny afternoon! THAT is total garbage.

Swiper's saugeye tip for the weekend??? Try trolling vibees in front of the Long Island bridge. We've hit a few nice ones there this week. ;)

16. Clayton

Clayton Fly guy

IF I ever get shot at by a duck hunter, you can rest assured I will return fire.

And I'm not throwing bird shot. Shooting at people is completely inexcusable.

17. Wiper Swiper

Wiper Swiper Banned

We didn't have a gun, but my partner was sure ready to head to their blind and "meet" the mouse behind the gun. Unfortunately, minutes after it happened a flight of ducks went down the North shore and another flight went down the South shore. They were too high, but EVERY blind opened up on them for "effect". There were at least 30 shots in 60 seconds. They won...we left. Don't take a fishing pole to a gun fight.

We actually knew the guy who skipped the pellets in front of us. (He didn't know it was us) I reported it to the park ranger and game warden. They both said it was wrong but wouldn't follow-up because it would just be our word against their's. :mad: (They ALSO knew the perp!) I asked if there was an armed officer on duty when guns were present in a state park, but they said it wasn't their policy to discuss manpower with the public.

I've had hunters tell me that they didn't care if I was down range or not. If ducks came in...they were firing and it was my fault if I got hit. Real classy bunch...

18. No I am not fishing this weekend at Ind or any other state lake this weekend because it is opening weekend of duck season . No I am not hunting ducks either . But with that said the guys that are duck hunting have waited all year for the season to come in . Most if not all have had their names drawn in a state lottery for the blind that they are in . All the points on any given lake this weekend in Ohio will most likely have a duck hunter in a blind that they hauled out to the point and built .
    I would respect the duck hunters and stay away from the points . Also if you see a bunch of ducks and honkers in the middle of the lake don't buzz them it maybe a guy in a layout boat with a string of decoys out . I almost ran over a guy on Ind years ago .
    With the weather calling for sunny skies most of the duck hunters will be gone by noon to return later in the day for the evening hunt .
    With the wind blowing out of the North I would just go to the McDonald bridge and set all day jigging Vibes , most of the time it is won there . You will need to come in from the Taco Bell side due to the duck hunters on the other side . Good luck

19. SAUGEYE HUNTER

SAUGEYE HUNTER CANT GO FISHING ENOUGH!

Even Though It Is Opening Weekend Of Duck Season, As Long As We Are Curtious Of Each Other It Should Be Safe For All To Enjoy A Day On The Lake. I Am A Duckaholic, So I Can See Both Sides Of The Coin. I Will Be Fishing In The Saugeye Tourney So See U All There .:)

20. SAUGEYE HUNTER

SAUGEYE HUNTER CANT GO FISHING ENOUGH!

Anything New About Rules Or Anything????