Ohio Game Fishing banner

Indian Lake Saugeye Slam(year 2) oct15-dec1

8K views 59 replies 14 participants last post by  BrandonMiller526 
#1 ·
Told John Stahl I’d post this on here. The 2nd Annual Indian lake saugeye slam is coming up. This is run through the fish donkey app using a bump board, I was in it last year and it is run very well. 100% payout including 1st-5th and big fish. Entry is 30$ if you have any questions just post them in comments. Literally anyone could win big fish, also raffles for at entry number 20,40,60,80,100. So the sooner you enter the more raffles you qualify for.

#12 ·
Wanted to do it this year but not sure I have enough time to commit to it. How did the first weekend go?
[/Q
Wanted to do it this year but not sure I have enough time to commit to it. How did the first weekend go?
Been slow lots of shorts, biggest fish entered so far is 18 3/4 but i know a lot of people aren’t gonna enter anything under 20. Weeds are starting to die, but can’t fish wind blown areas cause the dead ones cover the surface.

#29 ·
Yes, it is fishing way different than it used to, at least so far. Fish can still be caught and have had a number of double-digit nights already. However, I am struggling to find those consistent hour+ bites that we are used to having on Indian. Fish do not seem to be chasing the big schools of shad through current points and wind blown channels like they used to, at least not yet. Many more fish seem to be scattered on the main lake. They are catchable, but are scattered in the weeds and not roaming. Catch 1 or 2 here and there but rarely a stand in one spot and get 20 fish type of bite. I have had a couple nights of catching 20 fish in a channel in 2 hours, but it has been the exception so far this year.

#30 ·
Also, totally agree on the tournament. I enjoy seeing the standings change and the fish being caught. It is fun to root for my buddies and the many great guys that you meet around the lake. There is a reason the names at the top are the names at the top. These guys are fantastic fishermen, but their odds are much greater due to how much they fish. Yes, you can win this tournament with 1 great night. However, if you fish 7 nights a week compared with 1 or 2 nights a week, the odds of having that great night are 3.5-7x greater to occur, before even taking into account the skill and knowledge of those guys.

#33 ·
in the past years jerkbaits have been my best bait after dark, I was stubborn the other night and stuck with a smithwick, while my son was hammering them on a joshy, I switched eventually. The Joshy out fished the smithwick 4 to 1. We were using the smallest Joshy's we can find 1/32 jig head, I think the clear water is allowing the fish to see the swimbaits a little better after dark. I got a couple on the 2.75 but not as many as the 2.3 slush.

#43 ·
That’s awesome Brandon. Not trying to locate your hot spots but hoping to get some pointers. Are you finding this quantity/quality of fish mainly in one spot schooled up and just staying persistent to that area or are you constantly moving? And when I say moving, are you loading up the vehicle and going elsewhere or just keep walking the bank and picking them up along the way? Your advice would be appreciated as you clearly have the secret sauce right now!

#49 ·
fshnmaster - You are 100% right. A large part of saugeye success is knowing where to fish when and what they want. Like many other things in the outdoors, location is the single biggest parameter. I have seen situations where as little as 30-50 feet mean a full limit or zero. Streams are extremely narrow bite zones, lakes have a little more variable sites. Time spent will solve a lot of this, someone once told me this and I think it is pretty spot on. Your successful because your relentless, like an old hound dog that won't quit hunting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.