Ohio Game Fishing banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
It was a “slower” night than last week but still ended up landing 6, which 4 were legal fish. Threw them all back as I was out there just for sport. Talked to several others who were getting into some as well. Never had a hot bite moment, just singles here and there.
Ya its been pretty slow pickins for the most part. You can limit if you stay at it but I haven't had a fire bite this fall yet. I only bank fish though. I haven't had much luck at all in the channels. Seems like there super spread out and not schooled up from what I can tell. Been that way all fall

·
Registered
38 Posts
View attachment 479231 9 keeper sized tonight about as many shorts, makes 38 legal size saugeye in past week 5 trips.
That’s awesome Brandon. Not trying to locate your hot spots but hoping to get some pointers. Are you finding this quantity/quality of fish mainly in one spot schooled up and just staying persistent to that area or are you constantly moving? And when I say moving, are you loading up the vehicle and going elsewhere or just keep walking the bank and picking them up along the way? Your advice would be appreciated as you clearly have the secret sauce right now!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
That’s awesome Brandon. Not trying to locate your hot spots but hoping to get some pointers. Are you finding this quantity/quality of fish mainly in one spot schooled up and just staying persistent to that area or are you constantly moving? And when I say moving, are you loading up the vehicle and going elsewhere or just keep walking the bank and picking them up along the way? Your advice would be appreciated as you clearly have the secret sauce right now!
I’ve done a little bit of everything, jerks, swims, live bait, main lake, backwater. Think the most important thing has been mainlake from sunset till about an hour later, then move into back water after that. Didn’t start fishing till dark last night, found what I would call a current break from a wind cut last night. For 4 hours i made cast to 3 different spots and repeated them in a cycle, fish kept reloading. Jerkbaits at sunset to an hour after, then swims after that have been best. Impossible to fish too slow right now!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I’ve done a little bit of everything, jerks, swims, live bait, main lake, backwater. Think the most important thing has been mainlake from sunset till about an hour later, then move into back water after that. Didn’t start fishing till dark last night, found what I would call a current break from a wind cut last night. For 4 hours i made cast to 3 different spots and repeated them in a cycle, fish kept reloading. Jerkbaits at sunset to an hour after, then swims after that have been best. Impossible to fish too slow right now!
Also not much quality, last night was 3 16-17 inchers and 3 17-18 inchers after culling 3 that were 15-16. Caught over 150 saugeye this month, biggest was 18. Indian doesn’t have much size, i don’t keep them >20 but hasn’t really mattered lately. Think that lake would be a great candidate for slot limits to improve size. Something like 4 15-17 1/2 inchers and 2 20+. Harvest numbers are insane.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Very helpful info! I have not done much main lake/open water this fall as I tend to speed up when doing so as I’m trying to cover a lot of ground when fishing these areas, and I know the name of the game is being slow and steady. I typically target specific structures and do as you mention and wait till they decide to feed or show up. If I don’t get a fish or nothing happens indicating fish in the area around 45 minutes , I will usually move to the next spot. While this usually gets me some fish, I am not consistently catching the # of fish that I hear other guys are getting. I hear all the time of people catching 20 - 25 fish a night(loads of shorts) and that has never been the case for me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Very helpful info! I have not done much main lake/open water this fall as I tend to speed up when doing so as I’m trying to cover a lot of ground when fishing these areas, and I know the name of the game is being slow and steady. I typically target specific structures and do as you mention and wait till they decide to feed or show up. If I don’t get a fish or nothing happens indicating fish in the area around 45 minutes , I will usually move to the next spot. While this usually gets me some fish, I am not consistently catching the # of fish that I hear other guys are getting. I hear all the time of people catching 20 - 25 fish a night(loads of shorts) and that has never been the case for me.
Saugeye are my favorite fish to fish for and it's because there so hard to find out what they want and where there at. I'm not good at them yet just started fishing for them in the past 2 years for the most part but usually can find a few. I think the biggest thing is being in the right spot when there feeding. They don't feed all the time in short spurts from my experience. I fish Indian only for eyes and it's been rough for me for the most part. Hard to get a pattern on them at least for me. Guys that catch a lot just put a lot of time into it and know where to be at during certain conditions I'm still figuring that out

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
fshnmaster - You are 100% right. A large part of saugeye success is knowing where to fish when and what they want. Like many other things in the outdoors, location is the single biggest parameter. I have seen situations where as little as 30-50 feet mean a full limit or zero. Streams are extremely narrow bite zones, lakes have a little more variable sites. Time spent will solve a lot of this, someone once told me this and I think it is pretty spot on. Your successful because your relentless, like an old hound dog that won't quit hunting.

·
Registered
38 Posts
hoping to make it out tonight myself! I’ve been having better luck on a west wind than a south but we’ll see what happens!
hoping to make it out tonight myself! I’ve been having better luck on a west wind than a south but we’ll see what happens!
I should be up there about 5pm, im in a gray f150 if you happen to see it parked around the lake.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The lake was pretty busy tonight, you would have thought it was 4th of July weekend by the amount of cars I saw parked at old field 🤣. Due to the south winds, i decided to give the West Bank a try tonight. I walked the bank there for over two hours and did not have a single hit, was really surprised due to how the wind was blowing, but then again, I personally have never had much action on the West Bank. Switched up to an area that does not receive much foot traffic and was able to land three, two being 17” and one under 15”. Kept one 17 for lunch Friday.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The lake was pretty busy tonight, you would have thought it was 4th of July weekend by the amount of cars I saw parked at old field 🤣. Due to the south winds, i decided to give the West Bank a try tonight. I walked the bank there for over two hours and did not have a single hit, was really surprised due to how the wind was blowing, but then again, I personally have never had much action on the West Bank. Switched up to an area that does not receive much foot traffic and was able to land three, two being 17” and one under 15”. Kept one 17 for lunch Friday.
I like hitting that bank In the spring. Less people than south 😁

41 - 60 of 60 Posts