Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Nice haul smoker.I lasted til 10:30. I didn't see any tubers today,strictly jet skis and speed boats.One of the calmest days that I fished in this year.

The eyes didn't want much to do with redcraw this morning.

I managed 4 keepers this morning,1 at 15.5",18",18.5",and 19". Had that 1 spot (.2 mile from yesterdays spot) all to myself at 7:45 a.m., and lost 2. Then all the boats start showing up and cutting me off that wp. 30 mins later 2 in the livewell and 1 dink. After that,the eyes were scattered. There was another short bite but I pulled in a channelcat and dink eye with my main side rod. It tangled the other rod so 10 mins to unwind line and idled the boat .2 mile away from that spot. I missed a lot of fish today.

Started with redcraw on both rods til my main one snagged up and broke immediately. I threw out the chart craw rig while I replaced it. Meanwhile,I reeled in the wrong pole and left the chart craw out and the eyes started coming. Then it died down so threw both rods out with red craw and zilch. At 10:00,I saw buckiguy out there and slapped chart craw back out and the final #4 eye hit. Chart craw took all the keepers and most of the 4 eye dinks. Must have tossed back 8 dink channelcats.

Water Temp: 77

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Nice catch smoker an good reports guys... a question though mainly for you saugmon. Is there a reason you guys don't run shad style baits or your typical saugeye/walleye inland baits like sr5's small wallydivers and so on? When I troll(not as often as I used to) I always put out an above mentioned. And not saying the "bass" style baits don't catch fish because its obvoiuus they do. You guys are good at what you do. Just think some times when things slow down rather then changing colors I often change style baits. And Indian main forage is shad... not critisizing just curious is all???? So many different baits with completely diff. Actions and profiles....

Again good catches guys and thanks for the reports....

·
I jig therefore I am!
5,318 Posts
What depths are you hitting them at? Nice catch!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Pretty sure theres only one depth on Indian, kinda like Buckeye.. Shallow :)

Bobby, I dunno I think it's more about getting a bait in front of a hungry fish. Color size etc don't matter too much which is evident by the sheer number of styles and colors guys use successfully to catch fish. Big name walleye tourney guys have been using double willow spinner baits and other traditional "bass baits" to catch walleyes.

http://www.lurenet.com/fishing-articles/walleye-fishing/walleyesspinnersecret

Yep, Booyah spinner bait walleyes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
:T:T:T Got 3 eyes this am. all about 15 1/2 threw them back , they were pretty skinny , sat was a bust for us , only 1 white bass & wife lost eye @ boat , nice to meet biguns on sat !!! Great weather entire weekend !!!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
6.1' to 6.3' for me.It don't sound like much,but is quite a difference between 6' and 7' water. Middle of last week,that entire area was 7' and I had trouble reaching bottom and had to let out a little more line and angle the rods lower to get the cranks down for the bite..

Planning on the son-in law and grandson tomorrow evening,barring T-boomers. Going to be a hot one,but at least the water's still nice and cold and the eyes haven't disappeared like they usually do this time of year.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Yea ben totally agree when there active a lot of times its about getting a bait in front of the fish.... but those time were u hit a few then they just shutdown. Lotsa a time switching style baits rather then colorsnis the way to go.

Just wondering the method(thinking) to there madness. And if they have tried them but just didn't work. Obviously if it works and/or u have cofindnce in it do it. Just always good to have trick up your sleeve for when they don't coaperate .

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Glad you guys got them. I was lazy a got there after the bite. All I got was a 18"whitebass and four short channels. I should have lowered my rods but I kept them up because of the traffic. I think the tubers were just being a pain.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I've had to throw everything at them this year. I've never had to change colors and Model #'s as frequently as I have this year.But according to all my notes last year,they did the same exact thing and I'm changing my tactics accordingly. Of course last year I could have thrown the book away. All the bad mojo of coldfronts,drought,doubledigit temp rises and falls,2 durecho's,and 92 degree water temp and we still limit'd out at over a 50% rate,some 3 man limits, and many near limits. This year's weather is the most stabilist that I've seen.A couple minor early june/july cold fronts,Plenty of rain to keep the lake full.steady water temp,and water temp still 12+ degrees colder than last year.

This should have been one of the best season's ever,but lacking the class of 2009 and 2010 eyes that would be keepers this season, is making it look like one of the worst.Those 15"s and 16"s are the majority of the eyes in those feeding frenzies and are very rare for me.2 in the 15" range this weekend and 7 total for the season. I have 3 times that for the 19" eyes.
We'll be back to normal next year with the 200+ 14 3/4" dinks that we tossed back this year. I've haven't seen dink numbers like that in years.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I keep changing up but three of mine came on a rebel crawdad the other two came on a lure that I don't know the name of. Bought six boxes from a friend before he passed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Its fishing, not catching
131 Posts
I ended up with 4 keepers and one 22 inch FO. I threw back a hand full of dink saugeye, crappie, catfish, and white bass and what I mean is a hand full in each species lol. Saugmon I was gonna stop by today but every time I got close to your boat you seemed very upset (missed fish, tangle, ect.) I also noticed that I missed 6 + today ether it was the steady saugeye rod bender and I go to lift the rod out of its holder and fish off and also had 4 hooked and fought halfway to the boat and a sudden head shake and fish off. I also took your advice and decided not to stop when I hooked up and had two doubles today (alway exciting) but felt that is why I missed those 4 eyes I could be wrong but whenever I stopped on past trips I would land them no problem. Anyway good day on the lake. Also I will be "roughing it" at the campground for my vacation so I don't have to drive an hour plus to fish it we should hook up if you have time during this week.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Nobody around when I lost that 1st fish.Then I turned around to go thru that exact trail again when a flat bottom boat with 2 guys cut me off so I swung right. They lost a fish on my spot and I lost a dink as I veered right of it. At least they didn't throw out a marker buoy like some idiot did to me last year and had 20 boats circling my spot.

Qauckpot: With the way the bite's been,it's almost better to sleep in and get out there at 8-9 a.m. The early 6 a.m. bites are extinct,and just now starting to get a 7 a.m. bite and the 8 a.m. bite Saturday.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Brooksdale... Imo always better to keep going when fighting trolled up fish. Not just better chances of hooking up on second rod but to keep any slack out of your that could/can be caused by stopping the boat.... now hooking up with a muskie maybe a diff. Story.. but even 10 lb eyes at Erie we keep trolling and don't stop.... also Imo bad to pump when realingnin trolled fish. Just a slow steady real with tip up high....

·
S.S Mud Dobber
613 Posts
He was probably upset because you were getting so close to him and pushing him off his spots sounds like! Ha:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.