Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the water shortly after 6 a.m. and not much action. 1 single 14" eye before 8:30 with a south wind.It was so boring,I almost fell asleep a couple times so decided to troll on in. Then the wind got heavier and switched out of the west.Got close to a blue boat with 3 guys in it and nailed a 17" eye and that got my adrenaline pumping. Made another turn and got a 5# flathead.Kept hitting those 2 waypoints and feeding frenzy was on. That flattie was on a rocky hump in 5.6' of water tapering down to 6.1' where the 17" eye hit which was 200' from it.. Then the channelcat dink feeding frenzy began. Must have tossed back half a dozen + cat dinks,couple more eye dinks,and finished with a 9" crappie tossback. Then the wind switched out of the north,blue boat left, and bite was over. Lots of dead channelcats floating.

Redcraw,chart craw b04's,and mistake 200 series all got :S
Molting craw took every fish.

Water Temp: 72.3
Clarity,greater than a foot. Clearest water that I've seen since middle of may.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I trolled old Indian Lake for a couple hours from 9am till about 11am. One 20" fish on the skinny side. Perch shad rap. One dink toss back and one mystery hit and miss. Water temp 73.8 and murky. Ton of boats in old ***** lake tonite for the catfish tourney.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure if you're targeting anything specific.If you're coming down from lima,you could take 117 and head west on 235 to chippawa,but not much channel there unless you want your yak on the main lake.Blackhawk is on down from there and has a lot more channels plus lucy's hole in the middle of that area. Since you're in a yak,there's a place on long island that you could easily put it in with lots of channels and pads..or continue past long island to 366 west to moundwood.There's a shortcut just before duff quarry around to buds that'll get you to moundwood quicker.

The eastern half of the lake would probably be easier for yaks and a ton of cover.

476 Posts
Thanks for the info. I went to moundwood and trolled the channel and over to green bridge for the eyes but got skunked then got into some crappie. I don't mind trolling the main lake if I can get into the eyes. I found a launch at pew island that I could use if the eyes are close to there. I was told most of the eyes are in the channels. Do you think this is right or are they still in the main lake? Seams like this has been a tough year as there are few posts compared to last year.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Fished 8-7 and 8-8. Only thing we found was a load of 8-11.5" crappie. Got two eyes that were 18" also. We went for cats and only found two. We tried water from 2-14fow and found nothing, fished from 9pm till 5am for the cats. I did hook into something on a live 8" bluegill. It hit and took off, I set the hook fought it for bout 3min then it turned and went into a stump and wrapped me.

The water temp was 74-76, highly stained and sorta green looking.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I went to moundwood and trolled the channel and over to green bridge for the eyes but got skunked then got into some crappie. I don't mind trolling the main lake if I can get into the eyes. I found a launch at pew island that I could use if the eyes are close to there. I was told most of the eyes are in the channels. Do you think this is right or are they still in the main lake? Seams like this has been a tough year as there are few posts compared to last year.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I've used that pew launch 1 time,and lucky speedyr was there because there is very little light when we launched at pre dawn that morning.We had to use the headlights on the truck to help put in.I'm not sure how it would be now with that big red dredge sitting there.Seen quite a few yakkers using it. I've got quite a few eyes just west of pew. My 2 largest ones were close to there.

Eyes are pretty much everywhere.Their bites have been short,very few and far between unlike the normal bite spurts.We're missing 1 years worth of eyes because of 2 years of half stockings around 2010.These would be the 15"-16"s this year and I've caught very few in that size range.. Water temp never did shoot up high enough to drive them out of the main lake.

I'm hoping to get out tomorrow evening for a few hrs of :T.

·
Banned
193 Posts
The number of dead cats floating is sorta staggering. The number of cats caught that had red sores, lampreys, and overall looked unhealthy is staggering. The water quality in that lake is nasty. I had lots of locals tell us to not swim in the lake. Bass fishing was non existent, 12 in 3 days by 4 good sticks.(laughable)
Worst experience in 5 years going down to fish the cat tourny for a week. What is killing the cats and what is the disease they are struggling with?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All the cats I've caught lately haven't had any red sores. Never noticed any lamphreys either.I have seen quite a few floaters the last couple trips. Nothing near like it was a couple years ago with 1000's of floating 6" channelcats everywhere on the main lake as well as washed over the spillway.

I did notice the bills of my bomber 4A's are turning yellow so something in the water may be doing it.. Couple hrs out of the original package,and they start to turn yellow. I started a thread over in the tackle room about this issue.

Drove around the lake yesterday and water looked pretty clear and the wakes behind the 300+ pleasureboaters looked pretty white. A buddy of mine told me sunday evening's aren't much better,so I'll try to get out during the week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts