Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my daughter out for a couple hrs of saugeye trolling. Started at Blackhawk,pew,chipawa when #1 hit. Hovered around there and nothing.Then back to Vernon,wes,and back to pew. Nothing,swung south of pew and hit a dink. Then back to pew,chipawa,and moose. Got eye #2 on a tight turn after that wp. Swung around again and heard the loud thunder. Got louder so we was off the lake after 2.25 hrs trolling. Both eyes at 17",slim,and inhaled the red craws. chart craw got the eye dink. No cats,but lots of weed around the moose. Water was heavily stained,but the eyes seemed to be in the 5.5'-6' of water in the flooded lake. Quite a bit of 7' water up there and the lake is the highest that I have seen this year. Blackhawk's channel was chocolate milk,but ok once it opens up onto the lake.

Water Temp: 78.5

·
S.S Mud Dobber
613 Posts
Hey Saugmon or anyone else could you keep me (us) posted on the lake conditions the next couple days?? I'm gonna try and talk my buddy into taking his boat up sat early morning if its worth if its gonna be half way decent. you said the lake is up but I didn't know how far up it would be with this non stop rain. I was off work all last week fishing and i am already getting the itch real bad again, need to catch something with teeth!:D Thanks!

Linebacker43

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thursday's forecast calls for no rain,no t=boomers. 1st clear day in over 2 weeks. and looks good thru the weekend. It'll be worth it on quality skinny eyes. Already noticing a drop in the dinks.WT under 80,but not sure how cold that bottom water is. This weekend should be pretty decent,but slow like the last 6 weekends.

Dovan's,my daughter treats it more like a picnic. She had our lunch already packed when I got off work.She'd rather watch the jet skis and tubers than her own pole. I tell her that it looks like fun,but isn't, LOL! Another year or so and I'll get her out there on a tube. She loves to get in the front,lean over and splash in the water.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Main lake,ok. Blackhawk's channel was chocolate milk 2 nights ago,but had a green hue to it. Main lake is actually clearer than the last few weeks,but that be due to lack of sunlight last couple weeks, LOL!

Water Temp: 78.5 Along with a heavy north wind.
Water level dropped 6" probably due to the north wind pushing the water over the spillway. 7' all around pew 2 days ago and now back to 6.3'-6.5' of water.Pulled up lots of weeds.

Took my daughter and we had 7 eye dinks before we finally got our only keeper of 22". Red craw took most and the remaining dinks were caught on chart craw including 1 channelcat dink. Saw a pontoon out in the middle that looked like nobody on it. We made a circle around it and caught that 22" nearby. All of a sudden,2 guys popped up on that toon. The dink eyes were hammering us when we first started at 4:30 p.m.

The guy at lakeside bass pro said people were limiting out over by moundwood,but he didn't say how. I may have to put in over there tomorrow evening and see what the scuttlebutt is.That area has to be muddy,but that's where the eyes are. I may try running my B02's even shallower just for something different.Zero snags. Got lucky and couple popped off with a slight thumbing of the spool.

FO #11 this season and 1st in the 22" size:

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Dovan's,my daughter treats it more like a picnic. She had our lunch already packed when I got off work.She'd rather watch the jet skis and tubers than her own pole. I tell her that it looks like fun,but isn't, LOL! Another year or so and I'll get her out there on a tube. She loves to get in the front,lean over and splash in the water.
your getting some quality time with her. Thats what counts..

·
S.S Mud Dobber
613 Posts
Thanks for the update Saugmon, wanted to get there bright and early sat morning but by the looks of things I'm gonna get called in to work tomorrow night, pushing the arrival time back to around 830 or 9 am. Hopefully that doesn't throw a wrench in the fishing, supposed to be nice all day but that just means pleasure boaters will be on top of us faster :( We'll just have to get on them a little faster I suppose :D, Thanks again and may see ya out there, will be in my buddies new 17ft white sea nymph with some crazy purple and blue stripes down the side, should be 3 of us in there!

Linebacker43

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yep we'll be back out there Sat morning in the ole Loony Toon dragging boards around the lake. I'll be the one with the guy standing in the front of the toon swatting bugs all morning.(Saugmon knows what I'm talking about)
Hopefully see ya all on the lake

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Well if they are bank fishing with bass minnows it's pretty simple... some sort of float with a split shot and hook or just off the bottom with a hook or hooks and weight. Bait fishing setups are pretty basic generally.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep we'll be back out there Sat morning in the ole Loony Toon dragging boards around the lake. I'll be the one with the guy standing in the front of the toon swatting bugs all morning.(Saugmon knows what I'm talking about)
Hopefully see ya all on the lake
Walmart has this bug zapper that looks like a tennis racket.You could give that to your buddy and improve his backhand smash!!!

I'm headed there shortly. Kinzie wants to go again but wants to pick out her own bait. I told a guy at work and he said the mouth of moundwood used to be 16' deep. I told him used to. I'll double check it again,but I know that main channel used to be deep and it was 3'-4' max last time through.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts