Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out again this morning around 5:40 a.m. with the usually gloomy skies and rain. Couple dinks early and finally a 19" eye at the usual cluster that I've been pounding last several weeks. A couple shorts and that 19" hit chart craw on port side. Starboard side hasn't gotten much action lately. Mossback,foxy shad, both got skunked. My old boss wes was out there and he didn't do much.As soon as he headed to southbank,that's when that 1st bite started. Also couple dink channelcats in there.

Then zilch. I headed out for another hot wp last year called wes2. It's only .4 mile from where I was concentrating on so away I went. I finally slapped a B04 red craw on my starboard side and as soon as I hit that wp,fish on-#2 another in the 19" range! I quickly threw another red craw on the port side. Took another circle back through there on a hard left turn,and :B #3 on. It measured 24" live and definitely on the chunkier side than that last 26" a couple days ago.It tangled my other rod plus there was another line in that mess. Took several minutes to straighten it out. Then swung through there half dozen times and nothing. Got .1 mile from there with a hard right turn and missed a nice fish.I re-tacked that line and on the exact turn,eye #4 hit. That was it til I decided to troll in at 11:00. Got back into the 1st area that I started at this morning and lost a nice one. Then eye #5 hit. It was the smallest at 18". I was going to quit but after picking up 1 keeper,and lost 2 nice fish,and cool beautiful weather on that stretch so decided to troll it again.Trolled til almost noon and nothing but a couple dinks. That's the best 11 a.m. bite that I have seen this year. The last 4 keepers were caught on starboard side red craw.Port side red craw and chart craw got shut out after 9 a.m. The power boaters were starting to take over so I quit at 12:45 p.m. and I never did get #6. Lost 3 decent ones.Tossed back half dozen channelcat dinks and 6 eye dinks in the 14"-14.5".

Zero snags!!!!

1-18"
1-18.5"
2-19"
1-24"

The :B in the pic looks like 23",but it was 24" when I measured it fresh out of the water. It's kinda frozen and bent,making it look like 23". Looks like most of the eyes are shrinking quite a bit after being in the cooler for hrs.

Water temp 74.5
Clarity: Less than 1'

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm about out of days of vacation for fishing,so time is running out. I'll be a weekend warrior and maybe a few evening trips after this weekend.

I was just going over some records and wandering why the low numbers this year despite some pretty stable weather compared to most.Everyone's mentioning the low numbers as well after last year's banner year. The main difference is the water temp is now 14 degrees colder than this time last year. 74.5 this morning,but still stabiler than most years.I don't believe this is much of a factor.It's delaying them.

The 1 thing that sticks out in my logs is the class of fish. Majority of last year's eyes,like most years, were in the 15"-16" range. Lots of eyes in that range,so that's the reason I'm seeing lots of 18"-19" this season. Last year was a peculiar year when it came to dinks. We caught very few in the 13"-14.75" range. Caught quite a few littler dinks,but the bigger dinks were rare. That stuck out in my mind last year because I could count the dinks in that size range with both hands. Very few and a dozen total may be going overboard. That 13"-14" class size of eyes would be in the 15"-16" this year,and I have very few in my log for this year.So far,I have 3 in the 15"s and 6 at 16..

The ODNR had some poor hatches several years ago.It was due to a disease that the Maumee female eggs carried,so they had to go elsewhere for walleye eggs. These places were inland lakes,which had a lower egg turnout. Numbers for those 2 years were half of what they normally would be. Indian is budget'd for about 500,000 fingerlings per year,based on acreage. 2 years in a row the stockings were in the 200,00-300,000 range.Some lakes got fewer,if any fingerlings. I believe we're seeing the affects of that now with class of 15" eyes are way below normal. These are the eyes that the majority of people are accustomed to getting,so the action was better. We'd pull in a few 18"-20",but majority of the trips had those good eating 15"-16"s. Take out that size range of eyes in my pics and log from last year,and they'd look similar to this year. I had a few poor days last year,but not many.

Another note,why the saugeye keep hitting different models and different colors? They did the exact same thing last year,except with the lack of 15"-16",the action seems way slower than last year.Gotta work for them this year folks!:)

Water's still cold,dinks still hitting,so the saugeye are not close to being done yet. Numbers are down,but the size is great. Just like last year,they're being extra extra picky from day to day. Just gotta find the right model # and color for them.They're still grouping in certain areas,just like last year.

BTW: Water temp is cool,so the eyes will still be out there for a couple more weeks or more. With the rate of dinks we threw back this year,the next couple years are going to be a blast! But,next years 17"-18" are going to be few and far between!

Just some numbers I threw out there in case people are bummed out about this years action! The future looks good,but I'm pulling out some nice eyes this year.They're just fewer and skinnier than last year, LOL!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indian,star date 7/6/2013. I believe I had some mice in the boat so set 2 traps in the boat last night.Checked this morning,and 1 big fat mouse in the trap on the floor.The trap inside the hatch wasn't touched!!!

Dink city this morning during the 7 a.m. bite. Had 2 doubles which consisted mainly of those pain in the butt 10"-12" channelcats. Managed an 18.5" eye early and tossed back one a hair over 15". Very odd that I measured that eye on the cooler lid with a molded on tape measure and it was 18.5. Then after I bled it out in the livewell and tossed it in the cooler, 6 hrs later it was now an even 18" and that same cooler lid just before I fillet'd it.

RedCraw on starboard rod caught most and stayed with that color on that rig at 90' out all morning.. Port rod caught fish when the starboard rod wasn't out in the water. After that 18.5" hit,lost another immediately on chart craw. It felt like a barely keeper size so I farted around til it got close and it was slightly bigger than that and got off. In the middle of that bite,I had a snagged channelcat on red craw and it tangled the other rod and made a heck of a mess of that rig.That other rig had snagged into a big wad of plastic and both lines spun around. Eyes are hitting hard turns,but so are the channelcats. Lost 50'+ spiderwire off that chart craw rig,but saved bait.Also had a couple snags and the line snapped immediately with not much pressure on the spoo. Maybe mouse sabotage?lI had too much downtime during that bite. I powed around with that live craw color that was a matte red,foxy shad,and even put B04 on several other rods but very little action on them and zilch. Chart craw on that rig caught a few of the fish. I waited around for the next bite but it really didn't pan out. Dink here,dink there,dink,dink,dink.

Tossed back lots of cat and eye dinks. Saw biggun's out there and the dinks were all over his area as well.As soon as I got close to him,my non productive side rod snagged into someone else's big glob of spiderwire along with a rapala. managed 1 dink eye and a lure in that area then headed back to where I got most of yesterday's eyes. Fairly calm out there,but the pleasurboaters were stirring up pretty good by 11 a.m. Some rain and a whole lot of very light drizzle most of the trip,but it was nice and cool out there!

2 lost red craws.At least they haven't been discontinued yet!

Water Temp:75.5
Clarity less than 1'

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hit lakeside bass pro to find something different. Their bomber display was pathetic. They had a better bandit display,except I was looking for their 200 series chart craw,which look similar to the discontinued chart craw. Only thing I found was a couple of misc brown craws with orange bellies so I grabbed them. All the bandits I have is the 100 series and the eyes are favoring the slightly deeper divers lately.They wouldn't hardly touch them up til this week.Only thing I can see is they have more drag which give them more wobble. We'll see how they go tomorrow.

New moon's coming up. I'm hoping that'll get them going better. They're calling for possible showers and T-storms tomorrow.That's been the forecast for the last 10 days and most of next week!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only 3 keepers this morning,but I threw back a rare 15.5" when I. First and biggest went 21.5" for my 10th FO eye this season. It was on the chunky side!!Tossed back half dozen eye dinks in the 14.5" range. 7 a.m. seemed to be the hottest bite and after that 1 here and there. Quite a little pack of boats around me after I pulled in that 21.5" and the action died soon after. I hit a spell of 5 straight channelcats,losing a 4 lb one at the boat. Had a huge fish on,tried crossing my other line and turned out to be a 2lb snagged channelcat. I bled out all my eyes so decided to do the same thing to the channelcat. That sucker was still alive when I got home and not much of a mess after cleaning it. I'm liking this bleeding fish tip!

Picked up a rare 17" near the moose. Missed a couple fish so I tracked back through it to get that 17" around 10 a.m.. Chart craw took all the bigger fish on port side. Red craw tooks a few dinks.That new 200 series bandit caught 2 channelcat dinks. There's a huge rocky hump in between chipawa and pew that the channelcats thrived at.I had a couple wp's marked but it was larger than I thought.Tried trolling around it but nothing after that wave of channelcats.

Zero snags!

Water temp: 75.5 and clarity still the same. Dinks are still thriving,so the action isn't over yet! Pleasureboaters starting to go nuts when I left.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.