Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out there trolling and not expecting much after yesterdays 1 dink eye total for a 4 hr trip. Started out identical at 5:40 a.m. and did the usual seek and destroy for a couple hrs. Got south of pew and I lost a monster of a fish.It ripped off 50' of line then shook free. Only 2 things in Indian that can do that, Big flattie or a snagged huge carp. I threw everything at them. Chart craws,tennesee shads, chrome black/mistake bandits,Flat A,sunrise craw,mossback craw. That huge fish that I lost was on mossback craw. So then ventured to my starting point and after 9 a.m. game was on.Just as I got inside that cluster area that I've been pounding, I lost a fish and got a 10" eye dink and set that waypoint. Working that wp, I nailed the 1st eye. .10 mile from that on a turn to go back,eye #2 hit.Then a snagged channelcat. 15 mins later,that's when the big eye hit and boy did it fight. Got it in the boat and measured at 26",which the hatch of my livewell is 27" long. After that only managed a bluegill.Imagine a bluegill hitting a B04 at 3 mph with 30# spiderwire and 8.5' salmon rod!! What a fight!:D

After 10 a.m., that's all she wrote and the bite stopped as fast as it started.T All eyes were on the skinny side. That 26" eye should have been in the 5#-6# range but I bet it barely reached 4#.

Here's the big eye fresh out of the water:

Here's all 3 skinny eyes and a channelcatThe littleuns measured 18 1/4" and 18 1/2".

Here's the monster bluegill/sunfish:

Water Temp: 74
Clarity: stained, less than 10"

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's a nice eye. Would harness still work this time of year? Do you ever troll with spoons any I have not done much trolling up there mostly harness. I would like to hit it a couple of times before the cat tournament. Keep the good post coming.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never tried spoons. Tried harness's,but too many snags so I gave them up.Tried bottom bouncers as well but snags take both the bouncer and harness. Drifting something weedless would be the ticket.The catfish have tapered off. 2 straight days without catching any on of pain in the but 12 inchers. Seems like when the channelcats hit,the eyes will hit too.

Spent another 3 hrs trolling this evening with my 6 yr old girl. Managed a skinny 19.5" at 5 p.m. then a pee break to chipawa. Got back out after 6 p.m. and the last eye hit about 6:30 and was only a skinny 16.5". Ran chart craw entire time. There was a lund tiller trolling my spot this morning when I landed those 3 eyes and cats. Double checked the times on the waypoints and all 4 fish hit in a 20 min span along with the missed fish and dink eye. That's how fast they hit when they get on their feeding frenzy so no stopping unless it's a good one. No lost cranks today. Both fish came within 200' of this mornings wp's. They're holding in that area,just not feeding very often.

I see way too many people stopping just to pull off weed or dinks during the feeding time.They'll stop until the fish is thrown back or tossed in the live well.Majority of those frenzy's don't last long.You gotta get the fish in,rod back out as quick as possible.A few times I had 2 eyes flopping on the deck just to get the rods back out there and set on my footage and head back to that wp.Sometimes you need 2 nets for when the eyes spin around in the net and tangle the trebles when you have a double or even triple like last year.

One example was twice today. This morning,the only boat near me when I hit the bite was a white lund tiller,merc o/b,and black lettering. He was all around me,and stopped quite a bit. Caught a decent one or two,but mostly dinks..Who just happened to show up at that exact spot this evening? That same guy in that lund. I saw him stop to pull off weed and throw a couple dinks back. Hard to get a double when 1 rod is in and other sitting still.

Water temp: 75.5

1 - 3 of 3 Posts