Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got on the water before sunrise by 6 a.m. and 1st and only eye in the boat at 6:10 a.m. out by my hawg wp wes2. Didn't act like a :B at first so left the boat in slow idle into the wind. It broke the surface next to the boat and it had my bomber engulfed deep down it's throat. After a couple minutes working it back up,in the net it went. FO #12 of the season and measured 25.25" after it was iced down and bled out".1st one of the year that I had to zipper out the spine.
My digital scales quit working,but It is the heaviest eye of the season. Went another hr without a hit and then a 12" white bass. Then trolled section of lake that I've been catching them in this year and missed another nice fish near chipewa. None of the regulars were out there and only a couple 3-4 boats total. No tubers or skiiers. Water temp dropped pretty good. Started at 72.8 at first and dropped to 72.5 when I quit at 10:15 a.m. Pretty rough with the west wind. I was thinking to myself that I haven't had the slightest snag this morning and then wham,double snag. Got lucky and pulled the 1st one through with thumbing the spool. Had to circle back for the 2nd and it popped off.

Mossback craw,molting craw,bandit 200 series red craw,B04 Red craw all got skunked.

Fresh out of the water:

On the cleaning board.Board:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Good catch on that big saugeye. Saugmon the colors that you troll with do they match what the saugeye are eating? Does the water color influnce what colors you use?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good catch on that big saugeye. Saugmon the colors that you troll with do they match what the saugeye are eating? Does the water color influnce what colors you use?
That :B puked a lot of water on my carpet.It also tore up my right thumb with its cheekplate.
Most years,they puke up mostly shad and a little bit of crawdads.Anywhere from 1'-fry and 4" shad on the bigger ones.I've never seen anything else other than shad and craws. This year,very few shad have been left in my livewell. I do bleed them now in the livewell then slap em in the cooler a short spell later. Crawdad patterns is what they hit for me and it was same towards the end of last year.

Water color has been the same since memorial day.It may have been the clearest yesterday since before memorial day with around 1' clarity.Very white wakes were being put out by the pleasureboaters where as slighly brownish tint up til last week.

Eyes being picky on colors,and even certain rods. All fish and hits were on port side with chart craw. Starboard with chart craw,foxy shad,mossback,both bomber/bandit red craws all got :S. Usually the bomber B04 red craw works well on this rod. I have a couple of my B04's that have the bills turning yellow. Not sure what is doing it,but the eyes don't want much to do with those cranks.

·
Registered
777 Posts
We have caught saugeye on baits that the colors matched what they were eating. When they were eating certain bait the color of the crankbait needed to match to get hits. Differant parts of the lake they would be eating something differant and the baits would need to match what they were eating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts