Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my son went to the dam a couple of weeks ago for the first time for the both of us. I must say I wish I would have tried here a long time ago had a great day. We usually fish down river between Providence dam and Perrysburg but decided to finally try here. We caught a few smallies small ones some drum a gar and about 24 + walleye between the two of us. I have heard of walleye being up here but did not realize in such numbers and very aggresive what a blast. Some of these were in the 20 inch range. I do not carry my phone while in the river so sorry no pics but all these walleye were nice fish.

·
Tontogany1
89 Posts
Were those walleye or sauger ? -I been catching a few sauger lately down from G.R. dam - just wondering if they are the same

·
Registered
507 Posts
More than likelly saugeyes. Same story last year. State even admits there are saugeyes in the Maumee. One of their hotspots in their latest (or 1 prior) said there was good fishing at Independence for walleyes & saugeyes. Even they are not sure what is what. LOL. Wonder if they enforce the 15" size limit below the Providence dam. LOL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes now that I think about it I remember them being kind of spotty but it never dawned on me that they would be saugeye. I wonder how they ended up in there.
None were under 15" they were all nice size 18" and up fought like mad

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
crankbait tried both crawfish pattern and shad, craw produced more

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I wasnt thinking at the time I was giving to much info forgive me this is new to me will think twice next time

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also if you guys would have politely informed me of my mistake as opposed to the smart ass comments it would have gone a lot further in my book.

·
Registered
627 Posts
He says Independance Dam Defiance nothing more as to where he was fishing. That is a big area to fish.
Plus fishnfrenzy you say you caught 24 and they was all nice fish. How many are you allow to keep.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually we did not keep any. We were just fishing for smallies and and whatever else would happen to jump on. I could have grabbed a stringer out of the truck but was having to much fun. Next time I go I will definitely keep a few for the table but that won't be for a while I go in for rotator cuff surgery on monday so I will miss all the good fall fishing.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Also good luck on your surgery. But don't rush back for serious fishing. Try a little gill or crappie fishing. I remember when I had some chest surgery & I went a few days after gertting home. I thought casting a small jig for crappies would't hurt. I tried setting a hook on a strike.. Damm did that hurt. I gave up & went home & waited a more normal time to try again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks had the surgery on monday I see now why they say 4 to 6 months recovery just in time for the spawn in Florida sure gonna miss the fall bite though

1 - 19 of 19 Posts