Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
FishBum
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:C Hi guys. I have been fishing lake Erie for some years now, Central basin mostly, but am beginning to fish and learn the Western basin some. I have never had a boat larger than my current 17.5 Smoker Craft but do have 20 years boating experience and ready to move up. My dad just retired a few years ago and would really like to get a bigger boat for Erie fishing. Therefore, I have decided to try and get some info or leads from any of you experienced Erie fishermen. If you happen to have any info, know of a good reputable dealer for a boat type of what we are looking for or have any suggestions on a good brand....any info would be greatly appreciated! I will list some specs below on the type of boat we are in the market for. Thanks in advance to all!

-Used - willing to spend in the range of $10,000 to $20,000
-22' to 25' fiberglass hull
-cuddy cabin
-sport fisher type boat with lower to the water back deck and walk around front.
-I'd prefer a nicely opened back fisherman's deck as well, so outboard motor is also preferred.
-The appropriate trailer for the boat.
-Hard top preferred, but not a must...

Someone may have info or someone you know selling something similar. Let me know either through here, PM or email [email protected]

We are ready to buy!:C

Thank you...

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm not sure where Wampum is but Permeir Toyota in Amherst/Lorain ,off Rt2, has a sweet Grady White for sale. I'm thinkin it was a trade in for a car. I have no clue what they are asking. It's way out of my price range for a few years lol

Chuck

G

·
Get off at the exit and head north that is where the marine is. Beaver Park they deal with Gray Whites sweet boats.

·
FishBum
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw that boat and dad is coming over tonight to look at a bunch I printed off the net. Never heard of a Sea Ox?? But it looks just like what I'm looking for in a larger fishing boat. I also saw a few older Grady Whites in the late eighties. They are nice boats buzz. Also got a couple of e-mails. One on a Thompson, but I think they're too deep in the back for my liking and the other for a Mark Twain....88. The fellow mention wooden floor, and I'm not liking that...sorry.

Thanks guys...I'll keep you posted on what I find.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
For that kind of scratch, if you start getting serious on one particular boat, I would have a professional survey done on it by a reputable person/surveyor. The reason I bought a new boat last year was because I was tired of fixing my used boats every couple of times out.

Like they say, the two best days in a fishermans life are the day he gets a boat, and the day he finally sells it.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Survey, survey, survey!!!

My buddy almost made an $80k mistake 3 years ago on a 2003 31' Proline.

BFG

·
3,317 Posts
I have a 24' Seabird thats a pleasure to fish out of. everything rebuilt before I got the 28. If your interested I can send some pics.
Van

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Check out the market place forum .......... there is an Invader for sale that sounds just like what you're looking for. Listed under "Big water boat for sale".
Happy Hunting !!
Tim

·
Registered
333 Posts
Here's one for the Gazing...
http://www.putfile.com/joemamma_222

I'm so happy with this thing....Cuddy has 3 beds all at different levels.. So no ones "touching" I fit in all 3 and I'm 6'3"...THis has a 4 cylinder in it so it is Slow....BUT..VERY awesome on gas....My merc inline 6 115 hp drank alot more than this,,,,,,I was up on erie for the first time on 5-5-07 with her and she handled the small craft advisory with ease ! 4's and 6's and the occa 7 or so.....I paid 3150.00 off of craigslist....I believe it's the 2160 model. 1985. I'm the 2nd owner.
The whole rig w/trailer is about 5500 lbs. Pulls great with the suburban.....I think in a few years I'm going to upgrade with the 24'er and hopefully maybe a v6,. It;s got a little more room in the back for fishing....But for 3 people THis thing has it all ! Hardtop was awesome tooo.....actually cool inside with the windows open...Make sure it;s a volvo penta

·
FishBum
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just wanted everyone to know that we finally found our boat! Thank you and I appreciate everyone's help! Its a '99 22' Trophy with factory hard top and full glass. Very clean boat and low hours on the Mercruiser V6 engine. Here is a photo of it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts