close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

in need of expert advice

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fish2day, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Fish2day

Fish2day member

I don't venture into my attic frequently, so it's been since last Nov since I was up there last. I was really upset to find what I consider a major outbreak of mold. It is white/gray in color and it has like tracks that resemble snail tracks. It covers over 50% of the under roof surfaces on the boards and rafters. It also covers the end walls pretty heavily. It emits spores like smoke when I move around up there. I am certain the cause resulted from tearing off the old slate roof and going back with new felt paper, plastic vapor barrier and asphalt shingles. My course of action was to mix a solution of bleach and water into my pump up sprayer and spray everything I could. I turned on the attic fan and opened the end windows to ventilate it. The spores really did look like smoke coming out the windows.

The advice I need is this: What else should I be doing to kill off this mold? Do I have as major of a problem as I think I have? Is everything in the attic ruined and need to be pitched out?

I've seen you guys tackle a lot of problems in the past year, so I feel good that I will get good answers to these questions. Thanks in advance for any advice / help you may offer. Dave

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Ventilation or a lack of it is your problem. Make sure your roof vents, eve vents etc. are cleared to allow air to move. If you don't have vents, I'd suggest you install full ridge venting. You have to have air moving to prevent mold from starting.

3. where is this plastic vapor barrier? is it between the roof deck and the shingles?
    that is a problem if it is. also, any ridgevents or pod vents in your roof? any gable vents?

4. Fish2day

Fish2day member

OK, I screwed up. When the subject of attic ventilation came up I told the contractor that I always open the windows in the gable ends all summer, which is why I went up this morning. We both felt that ridge vent wasn't needed in this case. (kicking myself). Ridge vent will be installed within the week!

Next, I was at a trade show last spring and picked up a new product that is being marketed to replace felt. Titanium UDL. It also acts as a vapor barrier so it IS under the shingles. The main advantage I saw is that it is tacky and makes traction on a steep roof better. My roof is a 12/12 pitch. I had enough samples to do the whole roof, so that's what we used.

I want to thank the administrators of OGF, or whoever is responsible for the Google ads at the right. All 4 of the ads on this thread were specific to my problem. Another way OGF has helped me. :D

Now, if the ice will just clear, I think I hear some Lake Erie perch calling me.

5. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Thats interesting never noticed the google thing on the right. Cool!

Sorry to hear about your mold problem though.

6. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Fish2dday glad we could help. Hope your rear end isn't to sore, we all make mistakes. Venting is needed in any closed area that will get hot and cold. I'm sure it will be fine after you get it all completed.

7. Your contractor should have also let you know that your shingle warranty is void without proper ventilation. I've tore off roofs that were 30 years old and only had 15 year shingles no felt and good ventilation and everything was still in good shape. Vents mean allot.

8. very true!!

9. shad

shad abuwhupstik

OK cheif, listen up, I am a carpentar and electrician, #1 it's not to late to put in a ridge vent or any type of gable or eve vents, alls you need is someone you can trust to do the job correctly.#2 the mold that you are talking about is a dry spore mold, it turnes to dust very easily, do not breathe it if possible.#3 wear a dust mask, open all the windows in your attic and take a broom and knock all the mold off of everything and try to get it to leave through the windows.#4 take a shop vac and vac up all the excess and dispose of it.#5 take two cups of bleach to one gallon of water as a mix and spray it on and wipe down.#6 after completing #5 two or three times I would stain or paint the wood to try to seal out any further problems.#7 do not close of any vent at any time of the year, its there for a reason...

10. That plastic barrier was a bad idea also. There's no need for that in roofing, it's more of a sweat and moisture container than it is a barrier.