Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some in-line weights (long barrel style ang gray in color) and was wondering if the keel weights (painted) would be more productive? I was told where I purchased them it's a matter of personal preferrence more than anything. Thanks for the replies!
Wishin I was fishin, hopefully soon.

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
I don't think it makes a difference. Some will say it does. Just be consistent with your line outs, with the same style weights and you should be fine.

·
On the water
1,021 Posts
Remember that some tackle out there is meant to catch the eye of the man, not the eye of the fish. I may even go as far and say the grey colored lead would be more productive as to not spook the fish with bright colors.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,505 Posts
I'm a true firm believer that the inline weight does have an effect on the bite, it acts as an attractor, expecially in clear water. If you don't think it matters go run a chrome dipsey or jet in gin clear water off Clevelend or Geneva where visibilty is 20-35 ft and see how the catching goes compares to a black dipsey. Plain lead is neutral so that is fine and I do run those but for me I prefer the BPS fish weights. I'm not saying painted will double your catch or anything or fish weights are way way better, I just feel the fish weights can help catch the attention of the fish and help them dial in on your presentation from a fish that might be further away from your bait rather than a fish that is closer to it.

I think it matters at times but not all the time but you can't go wrong with plain lead.

·
229 Posts
I have to agree with K-Gone. Meisterics has been urging me to convert over to those for a couple years now. Last Friday i swung into B/P and picked up a bunch of 1 oz, 2 oz, and 3 oz. This is also partially an attemp to switch from snap weights as well (one less thing to unhook when boating a fish). I purchased all firetiger color at B/P and was amazed at how cool they look. I believe it puts me one step closer to emulating the programs that guys like Jared/Kevin/Gary have proven to be so effective.
Just looking at these makes one think these weights would have a clear advantage and offer a definate attractant value.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
The biggest advantage I have found is that you get no line twist when funning the "Fish shaped" weights. The ball bearing swivel on the back and the line attaching on the top gives them a rudder effect that saves the line from twisting. I cannot say I have caught more fish with them but there has been alot less tangles.

I have been using Red-Nek weights this year. They have been working great. I like to support small local componies rather thatn the big box with his imported stuff.

Scott

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
Just started using the BP inline weights in place of the standard cigar inlines.
Have had some violent strikes that bend the rod but don't disturb the board or tattle flag. BP inlines have some tooth marks on them. Never had this happen with the cigars. I'm comvinced that the "baitfish like" inlines will produce more attraction than other types.

·
captainhook
1,037 Posts
The biggest advantage I have found is that you get no line twist when funning the "Fish shaped" weights. The ball bearing swivel on the back and the line attaching on the top gives them a rudder effect that saves the line from twisting. I cannot say I have caught more fish with them but there has been alot less tangles.

I have been using Red-Nek weights this year. They have been working great. I like to support small local componies rather thatn the big box with his imported stuff.

Scott
Are those Red-Nek weights the ones that have an eyelet where you can actually put a hook on them? I saw them somewhere, but I can't remember where.

·
multi species angler
4,369 Posts
Are those Red-Nek weights the ones that have an eyelet where you can actually put a hook on them? I saw them somewhere, but I can't remember where.
I believe so. But remember if running 3 hooks on your harness or crank then putting a 4th hook on the weight would be considered a no no. Right?

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
I run a few different weights each trip out. I use the banana shaped weights, and paint them pink or orange. I also run the XPS weights. Last weeken, I used a combination of the painted banana weights and the ******* weights. They have all produced many fish. Last weekend (both days), a purple blade behind the purple ******* weight was a killer.

·
Registered
303 Posts
hey tubuzz2 yes over by kellys in april i caught a 27 inch walleye.to my suprise i saw the harness coming up with no fish on it .it had engulped the lead wheight that was shaped like a fish. morgan kiser westwind sportfishing///////:T

1 - 17 of 17 Posts