Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Draggin Meat
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I never did make it out to Turtle this year and cosidering the boat is now docked 36 milesaway, I doubt I will make it this year....but I did sneak out in the Vermilon area (unsuccessful)...BUT I WAS JUST PRACTICING....:D :D

I do have a few questions that were brought up over the winter, but not necessarily answered..Please chime in on any of the 4.

1) How far out does one normally set the boards from the boat? 40 feet??

2) I heard on a few occasions that jets do not dive near as deep as the bible says. Does anyone have a closer figure or formula to eliminate countless crappy results?

3) How about a color lesson on FF. I believe I read once before the yellow red archs are walleye...Can one really tell the difference between a hog and a sheep??

4) Do I have my settings to high on my FF if I can see my jig on the screen?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Not very helpful on your specific questions. From what I have read, jet 10's and 20's are fairly accurate. Beyond that, all is questionable.

Jim Stedkes online seminar covered some of this. Worth a read.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I run my boards out fron 125' to 150' each side. I like to streach my line out from the mast and measure it and then at the footage that I want i mark it with a permanent marker, that helps in keeping each side equal. You should get a Precision Trolling Big Water Edition book, it will answer all of your jet questions and much more. Hope this helps you out my friend !!!!!!!!!

·
Defensor Fortis
4,379 Posts

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
1) Big boards typically are set 90 - 150' away from the boat depending on wave condition.

In-line boards (the outside board) is 70 - 120' away. Again depending on wave hiegth. (rougher closer / smoother farther out)

2) The Jet dive cuves in Precision Trolling Deep Water Ed are correct for the conditions experienced during the gathering of data (which was flat calm). Superlines can have a big impact on Jets and add significant depth. The short answer is 40 Jets don't go 40 w/ 100' of line out. In fact the depths only change a couple feet from 20s 30s & 40s. Listen to the radio and you'll soon get a drop length, & go from there.

3.) Inturpriting FF readings is a learned over time deal. On color units the colors define size, not species. In my experiences walleyes mark with a more perfect arch while sheephead create a more blobbish mark. At trolling or driftng speed a fish moving in the direction that the boat is can leave a mark that is a long striaght line. I think these are most often walleyes.

4) No. Most guys turn up the gain or power to a point that they get too much clutter or a double echo, and turn it down just enough to eliminate the unwanted noise or rebound.

I hope this helps, now go get em.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts