Important Message From Boat U S

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fishers of Men, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

I checked and neither of our senators are co sponsoring. we need all the mails we can to flood these guys. I sent the same letter to all 3. Posted below (2nd post after this) is a copy of what I sent. Add/say what you want. There is a sample letter on the boatus site also. Little time consuming but we need to try.

November 28, 2007

Dear BoatUS Member,

Your voice counts! And we need it to make sure the Recreational Boating Act of 2007 is passed quickly. Without this federal legislation you will need to apply and pay for a discharge permit to legally operate each of your boats, starting September 30, 2008.

Please take a few minutes and contact your one Representative and two Senators, even if you have already done so. We need them to support and co-sponsor "The Recreational Boating Act of 2007" (House Bill #2550 and Senate Bill #2067).

Because one of your Senators is on the Environment and Public Works Committee, which can move or stall the Senate Bill, it is especially important that you act now.

BoatUS has been working with other boating groups to pass this legislation which will eliminate (for recreational boats only) the new court-imposed EPA permit. We know that boating depends on clean water and healthy natural resources. However, a boat permit will not create a tangible environmental benefit, and it will be another inconvenience and tax for you.

It is important to note that all current environmental restrictions on the overboard discharge of oil, fuel, garbage, and sewage still stand, and will not be altered by this legislation.

Help boating by contacting your Representative and Senators:

Ask that they co-sponsor and support House Bill #2550 and Senate Bill #2067 which reinstate the common sense discharge permit exemption for recreational boats.

Help them understand the looming permit deadline of 9/30/08.

If one of your Members of Congress is co-sponsoring the bill, please say thanks!

Click here to see co-sponsors for the House Bill

The 10 co-sponsors on the Senate Bill are: Martinez (FL), Bunning (KY), Chambliss (GA), Dole and Burr (NC), Isakson (GA), Sessions (AL), Cornyn and Hutchison (TX), and Lott (MS).

Click here to email your Representative Use your 9 digit zip code: 44266 http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Click here to email or call your Senators http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm?OrderBy=state&Sort=ASC

Click here to read the House bill text http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.R.2550:

Click here to read the Senate bill text http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:S.2067:

For background information:

www.boatus.com/gov/fed_alert.asp

Click Here to pass this email on to boating and fishing friends, clubs, and marinas. http://smtpbulk.boatus.net/bin/ftaf?id=D3F96DFBD3DB8CA7FF1D8922E8070BFC

Thanks for adding your voice to this critical boating issue.

Margaret Podlich
    Vice President, Government Affairs
    BoatUS
    GovtAffairs@BoatUS.com
    703-461-2878 x8363

P.S. We know that we are asking you to take several steps to email your Members of Congress, and we hope that you'll persevere through it. Santa has promised us new grassroots software that will make articulating and contacting your Representatives and Senators easier in the New Year!

2. Fishers of Men

Here is what I sent:

To The Honorable Tim Ryan

I urge you to please co-sponsor and support House Bill #2550 and Senate Bill #2067 which reinstate the common sense discharge permit exemption for recreational boats.

Taking a complex permitting system designed for industrial dischargers and applying it to recreational boats will not yield significant environmental benefits and it will come at a very high cost. Requiring recreational boaters to purchase a permit would not prevent the spread of invasive species.

The utmost importance of your help is needed for the looming permit deadline is of 9/30/08.

Recreational Boats already pay State licensing and registration fees. If the system becomes a reality, Recreational Boaters will be required to pay for a state permit for each of their boats. EPA will be potentially monitoring these vessels.

There are already federal laws restricting the overboard discharge of oil, fuel, garbage and sewage. The proposed legislation will not alter any of these existing restrictions. The proposed legislation will only hurt the recreational boaters who mainly will be dead out of the water if this legislation should become reality. What will Ohio do with all these unused boats and what will the marinas, resorts, restaurants and other water front business do when they go out of business? How about all the tourism at our famed Lake Erie islands? There is a chain reaction of damage that can be caused here to incredible to list.
    Thanking you in advance for your consideration to support House Bill #2550 and Senate Bill #2067.
    Cordially,
    Captain Aaron Van Burnett
    United States Coast Guard U.S. Merchant Marine Officer #2774625
    United States Power Squadron #E227569
    Lake Erie Fishing Guide #K070778

3. Sent these letters a few months back. Hopefully it will do some good.

4. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

My email went out yesterday.
    We need everyone to get on board with this one (get on board - lol).
    Seriously, if you don't contact your representatives and senators about this bill, you can't complain if you have to pay $800 for a permit next year.

5. Fishers of Men

I think a lot of people are not taking this seriously. It's too easy for the bearuoRats to pass these things and too hard to get them off the books once it is done. Come on guys, make phone calls, write, forward the boatus site to everyone you know and tell them to help. There will be a lot of boats parked at homeif this happens. Let alone trying to sell one.

6. Fishers of Men

And be subject to the EPA inspections! :mad:

7. Let's just vote more democrats in to office so they can tax the air we breath!

8. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

Now now catmando. don't get something started bud ;>)
    Personally, I changed to an Independent this year.
    I believe both sides (Rep's & Dem's) side with their own party regardless of what is the right thing to do
    (with a very few exceptions).

As far as this bill is concerned, I hope a lot of people read it and send emails or call the crooks - I mean Representatives/Senators. :>)

9. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

You would be required to have a permit for each boat, from an inflatable dinghy to a cruiser and everything in between.

The cost has not been determined yet but it would be several hundred dollars.

This is NOT a national permit, you would be required to have a permit for each state.

It's crazy.
    So get off your hind end and contact your Representative - I did.
    You can also contact the EPA and express your concerns at ow-docket@epa.gov with the subject line of "Docket ID No. OW-2007-0483"

10. On 12/5, I sent am email to Steven LaTourette re this issue.. Below is the response I received today.

Thank you for your correspondence regarding the Recreational Boating Act of 2007, H.R. 2550. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts me on this subject.

For 34 years the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has exempted discharges from recreational boats from the Clean Water Act permit system. A recent court ruling cancelled this permit exemption. The EPA is required by the court decision to develop and implement by September 30, 2008, a national permit system for all vessels in the United States for a variety of normal operational discharges, including those from recreational boats.

As you may know, H.R. 2550 was introduced in the House by Gene Taylor of Mississippi on May 25, 2007. On September 18, 2007, I became a co-sponsor of this bill. The bill would exempt recreational boats from being forced into an expensive permit system. I don't believe we need the EPA charging the weekend boaters $800 when potential pollution from boats is already regulated and restricted.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me again. I remain

Very truly yours,

Steven C. LaTourette

Member of Congress

I do not follow government issues as much as I should. Guessing the same is true for a bunch of OGF members.

From LaTourette's response, this sounds like a case of the courts stepping in and overruling/declaring illegal..... past granted exemptions. Hopefully the new law will pass and resolve this issue.

Does anyone know other ways we can help make our voices heard on this issue?

11. Fishers of Men

Be nice if it could hit the media, but that wont happen I wouldn't think. Sure do need a lot of voice here tho.

12. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

That's good that he is co-sponsoring this bill.
    Notice he mentions $800?
    Not sure what else you can do other than sending an email to the EPA. The link is in one of my previous posts.