close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Important and Helpful Tips Needed

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by gamefisher7, Jul 9, 2007.

1. I will be going to a lake in Michigan in a few weeks and wanted to know what kind of lures i should use. i plan on fishing all day so if any of you guys can give me tips on what lures are good to use i will fishing off shore and by past experience these bass go crazy for minnows but i want the big bass.

should i use topwater, spinners.......

please give me a specific brand lure so i can go out and buy one and try it out thanks for the help.

-GameFisher7

2. big bass like big shiners. Gold shiners in the 3-5 inch range will whack em.
    Another good bait for big bass is buzzbaits. Cheap wallmart ones work just fine. Just fish them early and late in the day, and reel them just fast enough to keep them bubbling on the surface.

During the day try Dark colored kinami flash (senko type lures) in 4 or 5 inch versions rigged weedless on 3/0 offset worm hooks. cast them out let them sink and drag them around and bass WILL eat them.

3. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

I've been having great luck on Zoom Finesse worms texas-rigged on 2/0 Extra Wide Gap Worm Hook (Red Gamakatsu is my preference) I also put a small split shot (1/64 or 1/32oz) about 6" above the swivel. Cast, let sink to bottom, set for a while, lift and let fall, reel in slack, repeat.

Also, you might try a 1/4oz Blakemore Roadrunner with a 3" twister tail. Cant fish them wrong.

Good Luck!
    Jason

4. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

I lived in Michigan for a few years and had great success on Berkley 10" power worms. Texas rig them with no weight and at least a 4/0 worm hook. They weigh a lot and will cast pretty far even on 10-12 lb test line. You can even go 14 if you are fishing around lily pads. I assume that your lake will have lots of lily pads and weeds as most of them up there do. Hit the pad edges and the weeds and drag these through slowly...give them time to settle. If the fish are really active you can also swim these over the top of weed beds. I use smaller worms down here, but these really work well up there. Red shad, june bug, and purple are all good.

5. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Gamefisher,

I would try to focus on off-shore humps and river ledges. Crank them with deeprunning cranks, drag tubes, and bounce jigs.

You may also want to focus on the edges of the pad lines, as someone esle has already suggested, with a texas rigged tube, jig, or worm.

6. if the weeds arent too bad you may want to try a drop shot rig. Particularly if you find some fish which are concentrated in a smaller area. You can cast it out and just twitch it, stop, twitch it, stop, etc. Find a pattern the fish respond to, then repeat. It is a great technique. You can use just about any soft plastic. I use tubes, different gulp products, senkos, etc on a drop shot rig. Good luck, hope you slam them. BTW, you can rig the drop shot weedless too.

7. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

I know that I've already replied to this once, but I have a new suggestion that is working great lately. I just bought a Mepps Aglia dressed Rooster Tail size #3 from Walmart. I used it for the first time the other day and caught a dozen quality Bass, 8 Crappie, and a very nice Red Ear.

For most of the bass, I casted out and let it sink about 8 or 10 feet and then reeled it in at a decent pace (probably 1-2 cranks per second). I'd definitely try it out for only 3 bucks.