close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Impact of trophy hunting & fishing???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by beadhead, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I tend to agree. One of the reasons I throw back the slab crappie and big bull redears and keep the smaller ones to eat.
    Ask MA his opinion:) .

2. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

I would say that is probably some truth to the article. I especially find the point that 'natural' predators will usually pick off the weak or the dying whereas humans go for the biggest healthiest animal interesting.

3. Personally, I don’t know what there is to debate. I think most of us already knew a lot of what they are saying is true. No real breakthroughs that I can see. What they don’t say much about is how they went about the studies. Without that, who knows if what they found is accurate in regards to some of the examples they give.

4. Maybe that's why I keep mis-timing the crappie spawn at hoover. The darn things keep evolving on me. ;)

I'm willing to bet the 27 or so fish species involved in the studies were all subject to commercial harvest.

I especially liked this quote:
    Naww...ya think?

5. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

that quote would apply to any/all science. experimentation and peer review is essential to the scientific process ;)