Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a terrible crappie fisherman. Half the posts on here make it sounds like you could dive down and grab fish by bucketfull in Alum, but I never seem to run into the slabfest. What am I doing wrong?...I mean besides everything.

Went out today and fished Alum near 36 for the morning - perfect morning, tad overcast, not too hot, surface 78 degrees and fairly calm winds, maybe 18" visibility and good color. Fished minnows and crappie jigs. Mostly fishing in 15-25 ft of water and saw a lot of fish in the 12-15 ft range. Of course, I could pass over a shipwreck and miss it for as bad as I am with my sonar. The haul: a white bass, 2 crappie, 1 bluegill. I know, impressive. Crappie were practicing social distancing today for me.

I just want to put my dad or son or both on a day where we fill a cooler with crappie and fry them for the family that night.......

One question, how much searching for structure or cover do you guys do before you really start fishing? I'm probably too impatient and don't bother running far enough looking for a good spot or some good brush or something on the sonar before I wet a line.

Rant concluded, thanks for listening...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm a terrible crappie fisherman. Half the posts on here make it sounds like you could dive down and grab fish by bucketfull in Alum, but I never seem to run into the slabfest. What am I doing wrong?...I mean besides everything.

Went out today and fished Alum near 36 for the morning - perfect morning, tad overcast, not too hot, surface 78 degrees and fairly calm winds, maybe 18" visibility and good color. Fished minnows and crappie jigs. Mostly fishing in 15-25 ft of water and saw a lot of fish in the 12-15 ft range. Of course, I could pass over a shipwreck and miss it for as bad as I am with my sonar. The haul: a white bass, 2 crappie, 1 bluegill. I know, impressive. Crappie were practicing social distancing today for me.

I just want to put my dad or son or both on a day where we fill a cooler with crappie and fry them for the family that night.......

One question, how much searching for structure or cover do you guys do before you really start fishing? I'm probably too impatient and don't bother running far enough looking for a good spot or some good brush or something on the sonar before I wet a line.

Rant concluded, thanks for listening...
You typically don't hear from guys that go out and only catch a couple on any forum, so don't be discouraged. Check out Delaware Lake if you want to catch crappie. Betting you have better luck up there.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You were in a good area for crappies. But from one day to the next, fishing can change there depending on wind and other factors. I know it can be harder to hold a spot, but I've always had more success in the 8-15' on the shoreline where the wind is blowing. If not working there, start moving out a little deeper.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Went out today and fished Alum near 36 for the morning - perfect morning, tad overcast, not too hot, surface 78 degrees and fairly calm winds, maybe 18" visibility and good color. Fished minnows and crappie jigs. Mostly fishing in 15-25 ft of water and saw a lot of fish in the 12-15 ft range.
Aklo, If this quote is correct you may want to try fishing at the depth where you are seeing the majority of the fish. You said you saw a lot of fish in 12-15 feet of water. Yet, you said you spent most of your day fishing 15-25 fow. One rule of thumb is to never fish below the fish. Fish might come up to hit your bait but they will seldom go deeper to bite. This is particularly true in clear water lakes such as Alum. Crappie are also notorious for feeding up. I find the higher fish to be more active also. Perhaps the higher fish are feeding and the deeper fish are digesting earlier meals. Try a slip bobber at 12 ft for one rod maybe in a rod holder, and casting jigs with a second rod. Finding the best depth for active fish is the most important part of a successful fishing pattern. You are half way there! Good luck man. And some days nothing works. It's called fishing not catching.

·
Registered
82 Posts
In my experience sometimes in the summer bugs are more on the menu than minnows. Try small bug imitating jigs and plastics and turn lookers into biters. Think ice fishing tactics

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aklo, If this quote is correct\
Thanks man! Everything up there is accurate. My sonar is a bit crooked on the bottom of my trolling motor, but that depth is really close I definitely hear you about bait just above your target. Walleye and trout - two species I can catch - are definitely this way...they almost never go down to hit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys - mostly wanted to share some humor. Love fishing - but lately I rarely go 'catching'!! Work doesn't let me get out enough and luckily the water, air, and scenery is enough for me usually.

Next try I'm thinking: run around a while across depths and contour changes looking for brush and dropoffs and some schools. I'm thinking more time on the sonar and really find some schools is going to pay off......just about everything online talks about finding them with sonar. Going to mark them and try to anchor upwind a bit and then try a few different depth presentations.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
AKLO - There is hundreds of crappie in Alum however, some places are better than others. Keep at it and you will figure the patterns out. Look to see you out on the water.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Based on the post I have seen on this site, if you want to learn to catch crappie, I would suggest offering to pay Polebender and Deerfarmer to take you on a charter trip. Those two seem to have things figured out on multiple lakes.
They will probobly be the first to tell you. If you really want to learn alot about summer time crappie,or crappie fishing in general to joint the local tournaments.

They catch expressive amounts of large fish all season long.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
hope this helps this time of year slow your presentation down smaller offering and as said above use slip bobber start at 15 ft work depths till you find fish and it seems as if green jigs are the color choice at least where I have been I had been very successful slowing everything down throw out let it set just twitch set hook good luck

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
remember Experience is the best teacher trial and error seems like a hard way but it's the best way to learn about Crappie

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone......I've resolved to just keep going out and spending more time learning my electronics. I think a lot of my issue is not enough time on the water due to work and then being really impatient finding fish when I finally get out.

Still amazing how generous this group is with time and advice. Hope to post a 'cooler full' picture one day soon.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks guys - mostly wanted to share some humor. Love fishing - but lately I rarely go 'catching'!! Work doesn't let me get out enough and luckily the water, air, and scenery is enough for me usually.

Next try I'm thinking: run around a while across depths and contour changes looking for brush and dropoffs and some schools. I'm thinking more time on the sonar and really find some schools is going to pay off......just about everything online talks about finding them with sonar. Going to mark them and try to anchor upwind a bit and then try a few different depth presentations.
It is really unfair how work interferes with more important things such as fishing. Alum and Hoover have both been a bit tough lately so don't feel like you are just not doing it right. The summer peak is a time of plenty for predators. There is a lot of food available. Fish tend to feed during short windows of time and then digest. You may try something really aggressive to trigger them into hitting. Try a jigging rap and blade baits for those crappies. There are plenty of videos on you tube. If you can get them fired up its a fun way to fish for them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts