close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I'm new around here.

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by TexasRigged, Feb 24, 2005.

1. TexasRigged

TexasRigged Lover of all things wet.

Hello all just wanted to say hi. This is my first time posting, just found the site and it looks great. I live in Canal Winchester and fish alot at Hargus Lake. I would really like to get up to Alum soon and try some saugeye fishing. Hope to see you all on the lake!

2. ReRobb

ReRobb master baiter

welcome, this site is great

I too fish Hargus, it's a great, quiet, small lake, except it gets kinda weedy in the late summer, caught some nice crappies, and gills there last year

3. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

welcome.. i went to hargus to do a look around the other day.. it looks great.. although i mainly fish at alum for carp..
    thinkin about doin some night fishing at hargus sometimes.. :)

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Welcome aboard, post often guys!

5. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Welcome to the site guys always a pleasure to meet the new members.

6. Welcome Tex,

I too live in Canal but only have fished Hargus once. Didn't catch shite. I mostly fish Hoovers. Whats in that lake just bass, catfeesh, bluegill, and crappie? Any Saugeye, Sheephead, or Blue Marlin in there?

7. Hargus has musky in it, no saugeye though and not sure about the sheep. I could put you on some nice sheep in Deer Creek or Darby if ya want, lots of fun on light gear.
    Hey tex, what have you got into at Hargus? Oakthorpe and Rushcreek are a few small lakes that are pretty nice, they are both by Lancaster.

8. Hey Tex what part of Canal you in? I live in Canal kind of. I have a Canal address. I live over behind World Harvest. Maybe we can hook up some time this year. I haven't fished Hargus but I want to.

9. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

Welcome to the site. Hargus is pretty good. Have caught some nice crappies and channel cats there. It will be one of my first crappie trips since I'm really close to it. A buddy of mine caught a Pirana there last year but no Marlin. They have catfish tournaments there in the summer.

I may have a carp tournament at my father in laws place this summer to get some of those pesky critters out of his pond. He also lives in Canal Winchester.

10. "Hargus has musky in it, no saugeye though".........while fishing a catfish tournament there I saw some guy walking around with 2 fish ohio bass and a fish ohio saugeye. I have only fished that once, but after talking to that guy he said he catches a few saugeyes there throughout the year.

11. Wow, saugeye in Hargus? They have never stocked them in there so somebody must have put a few in there at some time. I bet the ones that are in there would be big though since nobody ever fishes for them. I knew a guy that caught some small ones once and put them in his pond and they got huge!

12. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Welcome to the forums! Hope you enjoy your stay! :)

13. FishJunky

FishJunky AEP Tuber Association

I love fishing Hargus!!! A buddy and I fished Hargus last year and by the end of the day caught 20 bass and about 50 gills.. It's a wonderful lake with some nice bass in it...

14. The eye the guy caught was every bit of 25 inches and around 5-6 pounds. I dunno if anyone there catches them with any frequency but he caught it throwing crank baits for bass. So it might just have been a lot of luck. I personally have never fished there more than that once.

15. TexasRigged

TexasRigged Lover of all things wet.

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Mostly at hargus i catch bass, crappie, and some bluegills. Never seen any eyes caught but I have seen many pics of the massive musky there. The people I have talked to have said that there arent many but the musky that are there are huge. There is a 14" limit on the bass and I have only caught a handfull of bass over that size but I almost always catch something while I am there. The first thing I throw when I go out to the lake is always a Yo-Zuri Penn's minnow. A guy on the lake led me to these last year and the fish at hargus love them. Fishingtiger, I live close to Lithopolis.

16. toad

toad geriatrics supporter

I heard that most of the musky went when the drained it and they haven't restocked it with them. Rushcreek Lake is stocked with channel cats and there are some bigins in there. There is also a size limit on bass there as well. I have also done well on crappies in the spring but seldom get any much over 10".
    Buckeye is a lake you should check out for saugeye from the time the ice is gone till the lake turns green with algae is the prime time and then again in the late fall (IMO) Don't forget the wiper run in the spring as well as some nice crappies. Oh Buckeye is also full of cats and carp that if you can't catch one you might as well sell your rod & reels. (execpt for fishintiger, we make exceptions for him) :rolleyes: :D

17. I hooked a few musky in hargus b-4 but never landed one. hard to do without a net. Every now and then I get one to blow up on one of my buzz baits. You know it's a musky b/c it throws water around the buzz and looks like someone just fell overboard. Last year I was trolling with 20 lb test mono and hooked something huge, but it took off and never stopped until my line snapped. It looked like someone just shredded my line :( . Beware of bass fishing in the lake b/c of the zebra mussels. I use a lot of light line 6-8-10 mono and it doesn't stand a chance against zebra mussels. Good luck and if you go you might want to try a braided line.
    B :D

18. bassteaser1

bassteaser1 Feared by all that swim

I usually hit Hargus a few times a year.It does have a good population of 8-12" bass and some small panfish.I try to avoid it on summer days,there are little rental boats everywhere and alot of screaming kids.Weekdays are nice and quiet.I haven't figured that lake out for big bass but I always hear of people catching them.I'll hit it a few more times now that the 33 outer belt is open and drops you off right on 188 or 22.I live in Pickerington so that will make a 45 min trip 30.The snack shack there has good subs too.I just wish they would improve them stanky bathrooms!

19. What's that supposed to mean Fred?? I can catch fish at Buckeye. Mostly by accident but I can catch them. :D

20. ReRobb

ReRobb master baiter

That might of been me who told you about pinns minnows, that's my fav for just about anywhere, There a little more expensive, but are the best IMO.

Was this guy in a green boat, with his girlfriend? if so, it was me