close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I'm back on line

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Doctor, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

When Lynn and I returned from the Michigan tournament a couple of weeks ago we found out that our computer had been hit by lightning, fried the cable modem and got the motherboard on the Gateway.

So I started shopping for a replacement, Dells and Gateways looked good but what I wanted was looking at a $2700.00 price tag with shipping and everything so I looked into building my own.

Searched the web for sites and found several that showed how to do it, so decided to tackle the job.

Went to a shop in Beavercreek and bought all the stuff and started Friday assembling it put the OS system in it last night and today I'm making my first post with it, very cool the thing just rips while on the internet.

I have a tower with two cooling fans both 5 in, thermostatic controled with rpm speed controls, as the case gets warmer they ramp up and down to cool, not noisey at all very surprised at that, the motherboard is a Pentium 4 2.8 gig with an 800 fsb and 512 of ram,120 gig of hard drive, has a dvd burner and cd burner and a sound card that will rock the house with the 4x1 speakers that I have.

Very happy with it and the best thing is I built it myself and the thing actually works, so far no problems, I have $1000.00 dollars invested so if you really like a challange and you think you can't do this then think again, if I can do it anybody can, this is my first post with the new system, been using the one at work since the storm, just wanted to pass on the information and the savings if anybody is looking into a new system.............Doc

2. Worm Drowner

Worm Drowner Banned

Glad to see you back, Doc! How's the tournaments going?

3. Stretch

Stretch Wishin I was fishin

Great to see you back on line Doc. Real nice system you built there, and you just cant beat that price.

Hope to see you at CJ this year. I have been there a few times and the lake is treating me better this year than it ever has, just hope it holds up for the rest of the season. Take Care......Stretch

4. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Doc,

We have the same machine here :D Only difference is a flat screen monitor and 1 GB of Ram.......it's DELL. Got it from a Dell rep. on Ebay who sells machines (with full Dell tech support, etc......just a way for him to get "rid" of the extras he has).....DVD/48xW-RW/NIC/ETC........ All under $700 ;)

I have to admit though.......if it weren't for the price.......I would have built another one like we did with the last 2. More control over them.......and you get what you want :)

5. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

Good to see ya back Doc.

I built the computer I use about 3 yrs ago and getting ready to do another one very soon.

Running an AMD ATHLON XP CPU but seriously considering a P-4 this time.

6. catking

catking Banned

The Doctor is in da house !!! THE CATKING !!!

7. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Wormdrowner,
    Not too bad we are getting spanked in the pro's but we are the rookies on the trail, I have to learn to fish for Blues on a regular basis and then we can hang with those guys, I have learned a lot from the major names on the trail so it may be a few years before we see any improvement, I'm also not used to fishing during daylight hours and that is a major lesson that I'm learning, Lynn just won the Cripple Creek tournament this last weekend so the night time thing is still going well.

Stretch,

Cj was ugly for the cats this year, the big boys just never came around like they did in the previous years and it has been a month since I've been on the lake.

tpet96,

I like the fact when you build your own machine you control just what is going into the machine and you know your not getting low end junk, big big markup on that stuff and they like to use lowend parts, nothing but Cadillac stuff in my unit so very pleased with it so far.

Chuck P,

I like the P 4 fast and quite, still haven't even heard the hardrive kick in but it mainly uses the ram which is much faster, if the sticks keep droping in price I'll put a gig of ram in it while the prices are down, and they have dropped almost $20.00 per stick in the last couple of weeks, if you go to build send me an e-mail and I'll give you the information where I went and got the stuff. The case has a 450 watt power soures plus two big fans that are vfd controled by the motherboard, lots of room in there for expansion.

Catking,

You a crazy man dude.....:D :D

Doc