Illegal?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by buzzedredneck, Apr 28, 2008.

1. I Was Informed By Clendening Marina That Running My Big Motor {at Slow Speed Of Course} With An Ez Steer Attached To My Kicker Is Illegal. New To Me.

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

if your big motor is running,you're illegal.10 hp limit means just that.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

my guess is either he was mistaken or misunderstood.

4. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

if hes right, theres a lot of guys i know who are boating illegal. me included. i say hes very wrong.

5. LETS ALL PREY!!!

6. I use an ez-steer bracket. For those who don't know, it's a bracket that "sisters" the kicker to the main so they can share the same steering controls. Before operating my kicker, I do find it necesary to lower the main motor until the prop is totally submerged. This allows the kicker to be steered more freely because it lowers the angle of the bracket. That being said, on a 10 HP ONLY lake, I can see where the state might get a little squirrely when they see me motoring down the lake with my main trimmed down. So far I haven't been hassled on Hoover, Knox or Pymatuning. Your results may vary ;).

7. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Ditto on what Net said, as I have the same setup.

Furthermore the simple act of laying hand to outboard will quickly answer whether or not a motor has been running. I would like to think water officers have the common sense to be aware of this.

8. I'm trying to understand why you would be doing this in the first place?????

Why would you be running the main when the kicker was attached to the main...and why would the kicker be in the water if you were running the main....?

I guess if you connect the two at the ramp...I could see it...so maybe that's it.

Hmmm...

9. YOU NEVER FOUND SOME EYES, TROLLED THRU THEM AND THEN POWERED UP THE MAIN MOTER TO QUICKLY GET BACK TO THE TROLLING ZONE????

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

LOL.again,if the law says 10 hp limit,it most likey doesn't mean "except when you're in a hurry to get somewhere":rolleyes:;)
    what is "slow speed"?
    your kicker should get you there at slow speed;)

11. TAPPAN, SKEETER ETC!!!!!!!! DIDNT U READ ALL THE POST? SLOOOOW SPEED IS FASTER THAN YOUR KICKER AT ITS HIGHEST.

12. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

THIS.

( apologies for the yelling ;) )

13. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

buzzed,i'm sure lots of people use the big motor on other lakes.but i was under the impression you were discussing clendening when you said you were running your big motor at slow speed,so i wasn't referring to the other lakes:confused:

and i just wondered what you considered SLOW on a 10 hp lake;)

14. I'm not familiar with operating larger boats. I do understand sistering the steering but why does the main motor need to be running? Does it have some type of power assist that only works when the main is running?

15. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

no,the big motor doesn't have to be running.only the steering is connected to the kicker.all other controls work independently.

16. I believe I know what he is talking about. On Acton lake this weekend I saw a sign that stated that the big motor must be up, and out of the water. If you have to have the big motor down to steer the kicker you would be in violation fo this rule.

17. Doesn't seem like it. He said he was running the main but only "slow". It may be what the marina meant in what they told him though.