close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I'll tell ya how much I know about motors

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by twistertail, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Well I have this old motor some of you have been trying to help me with and I still have not got it started. Well I go to take the carb off to clean it and pull the fuel line off and stick my thumb over the end of it so fuel didnt run every where. I'm trying to clamp off the hose and then I realize that there was no fuel coming out of the line! So I start looking and find a valve along the fuel line that has been closed this whole time! :mad: So since I had the carb off already I'm going to clean it up real good and put it back on and OPEN the valve and see what happens.

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i ain't sayin' nuttin' :rolleyes: :D
    don't feel too bad,cause most of us have done the same kind of things :eek: :D

ps..............you should meet my neighbor.he's had me over TWICE,to figure out why his brand new gas grill won't light.both times were when he hooked up the tank.after me taking 5 seconds to fix and light it,both times,he asked what was wrong.i told him usually,you have to tighten the gas line in order to get gas line and open the valve before lighting :rolleyes:

3. Thats a good one Rick! Makes me feel a little better.
    I'm sure I'll get a big ole GEEEZE US!!!!!!!!! for this one.

4. Rick is right. The only difference is that we did not tell anybody.:D

5. HA You're right, I should have kept my mouth shut.

6. Now what fun would that be? For us anyway?:D

Hopefully the good news is that you have found the problem and you can get the motor running.

7. I hope so too, I might be able to get the carb cleaned up tonight and put back on and see what happens.

8. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

that's right,but sometimes we didn't have to,cause the whole world was watching :rolleyes: :eek: :eek: :D

9. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Been there, done that and got the T-shirt to prove it...! :D
    Just imagine the feeling when you put the carb back on and it starts right up.

Live and learn...!

10. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Yes, that too, or we lied about it.....I never did anything like that. You didn't mention anything about a kill switch did you (?) I have to remain honest. ;) Can't start lying now, only about important stuff...

11. Hey Twist I know what your going through. I've got the same problems going over here, except that I realize before I started taking things apart that the fuel was shut off. I'm sure after this weekend when I replace my pull cord and the spark plug I'll say that I'm such an idiot for not changing the spark plug before. Well that is if the motor starts then. Don't you just love these old motors? :rolleyes: I'm sure me and you could put the knowledge we've learned together and write a pretty good book and buy us both motors that run and we wouldn't have to work on. ;)

12. You are probably right about that tiger. The one good thing about my motor was the price, FREE! but then again how good a deal is something free if you cant use it:rolleyes:

13. I got two "good" deals. One was free and one was $20, but like you said what good is it if you can't use it. I figure my motor will start running around Novemeber or December. Just in time to be stored for the winter. :D :rolleyes:

14. HA! That is probably what will happen to me, get it running just in time for ice fishing! The thing is even if I had the motor running I would not be able to use it much. I told my wife I could get a life vest for out 6 month old so she could go fishing with me but for some reason she didnt think that was a good idea.:confused:

15. Get him one of those rings for little kids. The thing that looks like a float tube for us big kids. That way if something should happen he will sit on top of the water and be a happy little fishermen. Or maybe put some pontoons on his car seat. :D Those are all the ideas I have. Try those and see what happens if she still says no then I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe we can get our boats out and ice fish together. :D

16. Hey tiger he, is really a she. ;) lol but I'll run those ideas by the wife and see what I can do.

17. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Been there,done that! :D
    I wont tell you about the time I yanked on a 9.9 for 30 minutes and cussed up a storm,before I realized I didnt have the little red safety clip in place! :D

18. Oops. My bad. :eek: They all look the same at that age anyways. :rolleyes: Be ready to take cover just incase anything comes flying at you like a frying pan or something. :D