close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

IL saugeyes

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by HAIR JIG, Oct 26, 2004.

1. saugeyes still bitting here. slowed down last weekend some.caught my eyes trolling shad-raps and big-o's. south bank and dream bridge area. did my best in the pouring rain sat. night

2. itroll2

itroll2 fishin IS heaven on earth

were you using gas or electric when trolling?. thanks in advance. :)

3. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

We fished Oct. 15-17 and got these guys on Vibes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All by myself the last day
    [​IMG]

4. Scarletfisherman

Scarletfisherman Catch & Releaser

Congrats on the nice stringers!

Fished IL yesterday (Monday 26th), a very slow day. Started out foggy then sunny then some wind and then clouds. Should have been a great Saugeye day! First tried Vib-Es at Moundwood holes -- Nothing, no fish on finder, even. It seemed everyone who was launching at Moundwood was also stopping for a short time to try the holes -- no fish caught that we saw. Then to South Bank and there were 4-5 boats there trolling. Each reported no luck as we passed them. Most were trolling at 3-5 mph, so we decided to troll slower to see if the eyes wanted more of a drift speed -- Nothing. Talked to fishermen/women on the bank -- none reported catching. Tried the lagoon and saw a fisherwoman at the corner catch a 14" eye on a Vib-e, she wouldn't share the color, only said it seemed to be a different color every day! Then to the creek bridge and talked to a couple of bank fishermen -- Nothing for them or us. Next was back to the lake and noticed the Old Field trollers were all leaving and heading back to South Beach. We progressed over to Dream Bridge to find the Dredge working just north of it. There was a Ranger under the bridge, so we anchored on the SE corner so we could hit the channel as well as the corner. By this time the wind had shifted to from the SE, then to East and back. The wind was shifting throughout the day and was probably from the wrong direction, although we thought the change in weather with rain projected would help the bite -- Wrong. While we were at Dream Bridge we noticed several boats in the old lake, before long they seemed to all come to DB and work it for a while. Again, we saw no fish caught. The Ranger boat under the bridge reported 2 eyes, but in the 1 1/2 hours we were there -- no bites noticed by anyone. Back to Moundwood and the afternoon/evening bank fishermen were there and reported no fish. All in all, a very slow day. It seemed the best fishing this day was at South Beach, trolling "rapalas" (sources were not specific as to which and what colors/size) at the 3-5 mph speed. Hope others had a better day. It was a great day to be fishing, but "some" catching would have helped! By the way, we tried Vib-es (vertical, casting and trolling), we tried curly tails, we tried live chubs (under floats and with spitshot on the bottom), we tried cranks. While we marked fish, nothing was very interested. We did notice that 5' seemed to be a frequent depth for finding fish on the depthfinder. Hope this is helpful.

5. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

Thanks for the detailed report, sorry to hear it was slow. I am going back on friday for a second time. I normally only go twice a year, but the fishing was good so I am going to give it one more go this year.

6. Yes, this is helpful for me. Don't fish IL until I hear back from you.:D It sounds like you tried everything on the fish. I don't normally ask as many people as it sounds like you did but I have had days on lakes when I wondered if there was a single fish biting. It sounds like you one of those days. Better luck next time.

7. Gobi Muncher

Gobi Muncher mmmm.....tasty!

Scarletfisherman,
    Where is the area that you are referring to as the "lagoon"? Is that Dunn's Pond or maybe the Doughnut? Just curious. We didn't do so well the day before you (24th) got one around 4 lbs and two dinks, but the previous weekend (17th) did pretty well in the wind around the dream bridge area. Hopefully soon they will turn on and stay on!! The 4 lb'er had an empty belly, the week before had a livewell full of half digested shad.

8. Scarletfisherman

Scarletfisherman Catch & Releaser

Gobi Muncher;

I call the lagoon, the ramp area at the sw corner of the lake, at the far west end of South Beach. There are a couple launching docks and parking docks in there. The water is normally smooth and sometimes the eyes go in there after shad. Someone had reported that the eyes were in the pads, but didn't specify ... Blackhawk or ??? I have caught a 21" in Blackhawk pads casting a Vib-e type lure. Only fish of the day, but it was early and certainly got me going! Haven't been back. Boy it is windy today!