close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

if yo u are a farmer please tell me some tractor safty tips and other stuff?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fishcatcher87, Jan 20, 2005.

1. if you have any ifo on tractors and other heavy equimpent please tell me them and stuff that helps prevent rollovers with tractors?

2. Fishcatcher,

Be more specific on the model of tractor and what you are doing. I'm no tractor expert but I grew up on a farm and work part-time on my In-Laws farm, so I've been on my share of 'em ;-)

Tim

3. bttmline

bttmline E.B.C.C. Founder

beer and commonsnse, less beer and more common sense
    bttmline

4. Toolman is right. You will probably need to be more specific on what kind of safety tips you are looking for. We could probably compile a complete book of safety tips for operating tractors. For a couple of general tips I would say that knowing that a trator is susceptible to things such as rollovers is a good start. Using common sense to avoid possible risk situations will go a long way. Beyond that it seems to be more specifics than general general how-tos.

5. what i mean is that there is stuff that helps tractors (any brand open or cab)
    from tiping catching on fire lighting for darkness and stuff to help it from rollover.

6. Well, I ain't a farmer but I reckon I've seen enough Ponderosa re-runs to know a little bit about tractor safety. Hopefully this helps.

Don't drink and drive
    Always use your turn signals
    Always buckle up, its the law
    Watch out for groundhog burrows
    Don't pop wheelies
    Don't ramp tractors (unless they are lawn tractors)
    Don't drag race tractors on busy roads
    Don't stack hay bales more than 20 high
    Always have a fire extinguisher and first aid kit available
    And don't do drugs. Drugs are bad.

You can find a lot more information at
    http://www.cdc.gov/nasd/docs/d000901-d001000/d000918/d000918.html

7. I'm glad to see that you are trying to find tractor safety information. I rolled a tractor once and was darn glad my uncle had schooled me in tractor safety as well as lways being prepared to jump off when in doubt, no matter how careful you were being or how flat the terrain looked. Ditches and deep ruts covered by weeds as well as traversing too much of a slope will account for a lot of accidents. Many people don't realize how easy it is to flip a tractor over backwards due to the high torque generated by the large rear tires.
    I would think there are books available in the library as well as book stores that would provide you with a lot more information than all of our members comments combined. Check with the local farm supply store in your area and see if they can help you.
    Caution and common sense plus experience will serve you well in addition to what you read. :)

8. Search on the tractor's manufacturer's web site...you might find something there...at the very least they should provide some contact info for you to send in questions.

9. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Tractor saftey is not somthing to be taken lightly. My cousin was killed last spring by getting run over by a tractor. :( He jumped off the tractor after getting sprayed with hydrolic fluid, and was ran over by duals.

Try to find as much info. as you can because it just my safe your life one day!

10. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

if you're looking at buying one go for a wide front tractor.that will help as much as anything in avoiding rollovers.whatever type you buy make sure that it either has a roll bar or have one installed.
    then just use common sense.watch how steep of hills you use it on,keep your spped slow,every time you get off of it make sure that you dis-engage the blades or the pto.being careless around pto shafts can cost you an arm or even you life.
    one more thing.NEVER let a little one ride on the tractor with you.

11. I'll say it too. You can't be too careful! There's far too many scenarios to get very specific, but if you EVER question if you should do something or go somewhere,DON'T! Once a tractor gets going on it's own, there's no stopping it. I spend a lot of time on one, and have been doing so for a lot longer than I've been driving a car. I've gotten myself into some scary situations, and have fortunately never been hurt, but it only takes one stupid move. Be extremely careful going down hill and go SLOWLY, especially if the ground is frozen. It's hard to imagine, but tractors can lose traction and start sliding very easily. When they do, there's no way of controlling them. If traveling on a road, don't go as fast as what it seems it will go. Tractors don't handle anything like a car, and can get away from you very easily. If possible, never travel on a road at night. The light(s) on the back can confuse drivers into thinking they're farther away than they are. Make sure the tires are filled. It adds weight, and can save quite a big headache. Taking the rear tires off is no picnic. The list could go on and on. If you have any more specific questions, please ask.

12. Please #1!!!!!!!

DO NOT work on any type farm machinery while it is running. Make sure the motor is stopped and all moving parts are still bvefore attempting any service or repair!!!

Keep clear of all power shafts (pto) and any other moving parts watch out for children and pets too!!

Look up farm accidents they are brutal

13. some older tractors do no have a roll bar....

which is a big steel bar that juts up from behind the seat on both sides and has a cross bar at the top well above a driver's head....this is why you should always be seat belted in.....

I would never even drive one without this.....

Another tip: Never crank the steering wheel ALL THE WAY to the left or right....this creates instability in the balance and will cause a rollover....

14. Personally, I would never want to be belted onto a tractor, ESPECIALLY without a roll bar. That would just guarantee you to get hurt (or killed). At least without it you have a chance to jump off out of the way. Keeping yourself out of bad situations is the best way to prevent accidents.

15. Though it was years ago, I wouldn't be here had I been belted into the tractor that I rolled. Roll bars, belts and anything else like that might give some people a false sense of security and possibly create more potential problems than they prevent. Just my humble opinion as I will continue to ride ready to jump.

16. Contact your local agriculture extension service, or even the 4-H group.

If your land is hilly like mine here in Ohio, I would stay away from the row wheels - the ones like a tricycle - and get one with the front wheels spaced apart. I use an older Ford 601 to brush hog and work up food plots, but I am very careful.

I was told that when mowing I should back up a hill and go forward when heading down.

In my days as a news photographer I covered more than one tractor fatality. That said, I am just careful.

One thing about fire. My tractor, and most others Ive seen, have the fuel tank over the engine. I always let it cool off before filling.

17. ROPS [roll over protection system] is just a tool ,NOT a safety roll cage!I see guys riding around with them layed down and back. what good will they do that way??they provide some safety but YOU provide your own safety by going slow ,thinking ahead, and not trying to do 10 hrs work in 6 hrs!! If you dont have a lot of experience and something is scary to you ,dont do it!and Shortdrift is right,a rollover or tipup will happen when you let down just a little bit!!In Coshocton cty alone ,every year we have a few killed or seriously maimed by tractors due to the hills. my neighbor hit a stump and the bushog flipped him and crushed his scapula and ribs!he was a one armed bandit for about ayear!!he said he aint mowing no more. he is 82 yrs old.another thing while I'm preaching, NEVER wear your shirt,jacket or anything loose or hanging down around the power take off while its engaged. It will grab you and pull you into whatever its running! not pretty!power augers and grinders are notorius for this! just stay awake and alert and dont take chances!!