close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

if taking the family to the big lake weres good place to bankfish with kids

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fish4Fun, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

we go up to the lake with the kids usually couple times yr, never fished while we were there. Thought about running up this weekend were are some good places to back fish with 4 kids age 3 to 11 thought about going out to the islands.

2. If going to the islands...there are some huge muskie near the rocks on the south side of Kelly's, but getting to them might be a problem. Why not take a head boat???? Plenty of smallies and Lil perch...just off shore between the S.W. side and Put in bay. N. W. side of Kelly's is REAL good foor smallies.....LOTS of sun though...you'll bake.

3. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

If you wanted to fish from the mainland, give Catawba Island State Park a shot. Plenty of perch and sheephead to keep the kids busy, and smallies in there to keep you busy :)

4. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

If you want lots of action without regards to species, the best "shore" spot Ive found is the "long wall" at Fairport. (Headlands park)

Last time I was there (last summer) I was catching fish every other cast. You can even drop a minnow straight down on the "lake" side and catch rock bass out of the riprap. Its about 14' deep straight down! (There is piling there) Ive caught perch, sheepshead, and gobies from the river side, and from the lake side Ive caught rock bass, white bass, sheepshead, and a carp.

Still, nothing I would brag about but a kid would have a BLAST. The downside is, its a heck of a long walk to the end of the long wall. And the walk is on a breakwall, which makes it a bit tough, too, especially for little kids.

5. I've done pretty good at the Dempsey ramp by Marblehead. Have caught largemouth, smallies, sheephead and catfish there. Also Huron Pier can be really good for white bass and sheephead. I think just about any pier or breakwall you would be able to catch sheephead and catfish with worms on the bottom, would make good action for kids.

6. Heck what am I talking about "good action for kids", I love fishing like that myself but I am just a big kid or at least thats what my wife is always telling me.

7. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Sounds like some good info guys, like said already when i take the kids i care less what i catch and they don't either a day of sheephead one after another would be a blast for the kids they just want to catch fish. keep the ideas coming.