Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd been skunked. I actually laughed out loud as I pulled him out of the water. However, I'm not sure what kind of fish he is. Can anyone identify this little guy?

Attachments

·
Who?
3,415 Posts
Looks like your standard creek chub to me.
Maybe one of the smart fellas will chime in, as they ALL look like creek chubs to me at that size.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I catch these on lures way to big for them a lot and always laugh myself. Feel like I should tie him on and see what eats him

·
Who?
3,415 Posts
Oh yeah! I don't do much live bait fishing, but for sure that little guy would have been put on the end of a circle hook. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Striped shiner by the looks of it; especially if you were in a creek that rhymes with "marby"...
I was fishing in Big Walnut near academy park. On my next off day, I'll probably try "marby" or Alum creek.

I should've hooked the little guy up and traded out my crank. But I haven't used live bait before, so I'm not sure if I'd had any better luck. What are the most popular methods for hooking live bait?

·
A one-man wolfpack...
3,196 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tuna fishing I learned to belly hook them also. Slide hook through in back 3rd of fish and bottom 3rd to keep him lively. I also do nose and back hook method.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Tuna fishing I learned to belly hook them also. Slide hook through in back 3rd of fish and bottom 3rd to keep him lively. I also do nose and back hook method.
x2 on that advice. On a big chub or shiner, I hook them a little below the spine a little in front of the tail. Put them on with a 12" leader tied to a small swivel and drift them through the riffles. Maybe a small split shot right above the swivel if there isn't enough weight to slow the drift down a little bit.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
This, but only if using a live bait that prefers to swim around and not hang out of the bottom.

The idea is to make the live bait look like he is swimming up off the bottom. If you did this with a bullhead, it would defeat the purpose. Not saying it would not work

·
Registered
59 Posts
Find a 2 to 4 foot hole in a creek or river. Use number 6 snell hook weightless. Hook shiner far back in tail. It will draw blood. For the first two or three minutes the shiner will swim crazy along the top of the water. Hold on to your pole and get ready to watch a top water show. This catches BIG smallies.

·
Registered
771 Posts
i used to catch creek chubs all day at a hole on hotdogs and use them for catfish at night. im sure using them in the right spots will yeild bass as well.

·
A one-man wolfpack...
3,196 Posts
Find a 2 to 4 foot hole in a creek or river. Use number 6 snell hook weightless. Hook shiner far back in tail. It will draw blood. For the first two or three minutes the shiner will swim crazy along the top of the water. Hold on to your pole and get ready to watch a top water show. This catches BIG smallies.
Word!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 20 of 21 Posts