Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This was caught in Ohio Brush creek near Peebles, Ohio....no where near any saugeye stocked lake and 20 miles, or more, from the ohio river.

I catch very few saugeye, walleye, or sauger to really know the clear difference. Im guessing a saugeye... its not nearly as dark as the sauger we have caught from the ohio river. And its not nearly as green as the walleye I have seen from Erie.

Now the fact that its no where near a stocked body of water has me lost. My gut tells me it cant be a saugeye.....but it doesn't look like the other options. I guess it could have came up the creek from the ohio river.......a very long journey.

Can anyone make a good guess from thia pic?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
397 Posts
Did it have spots or bars in the membrane between the rays on the dorsal fin?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did it have spots or bars in the membrane between the rays on the dorsal fin?
At the time I didnt think to look. I got home and did some research and found out that that was one of the distinguishing characteristics. Ill definately look next time.

Thanks everyone.
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
397 Posts
Okay. I would have to guess Sauger. The dorsal looks a little spotty from what I can see.

·
Just practicing my cast
4,681 Posts
It's a sauger and a nice one at that!

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Sean , here's a Sauger. was it close to this?
Notice the spots on the fin, usually in a row
Good job Amanda!!:D

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
The coloration of most fishes can vary depending on water clarity and temperature.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
The coloration of most fishes can vary depending on water clarity and temperature.
Absolutely. Look at the lack of color in this bad Sauger that tried to eat a Superfluke half his size while I was Wiper fishing:D Had the rows so I knew it was a Sauger. Another one under a float with a finesse minnow fishing for Whites

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts