close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ID me

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Nightprowler, May 15, 2008.

1. Nightprowler

Nightprowler Crappie Hunter

Which is a black and which is a white or are these both blacks or both whites? Thanks for the help.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Nightprowler

Here's a little closer pic.

Attached Files:

3. cantsleep

cantsleep 3rd shift blues

4. I have to post one more time to submit URL link

5. This applies to the second post of pictures you put on. The bottom is a black crappie and the top is a white crappie.

6. I agree. I am counting 5-6 dorsal rays on the first one and at least 7 on the second one.

7. I agree that the bottom is the Black and the top is the White. They both taste the same to me, I'm not predjudice...

8. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

You guys are correct. Top white, bottom black

9. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

lol!

Did anyone notice the URL included a hybrid crappie? I didn't know they could cross! I've seen hybrid sunfish, they seem to be more naturally occurring than other hybrids.

10. Yeah, I kind of wondered about that one. I really didn't know they could cross either. I wonder if that is some sort of forced cross-breeding? It would seem that if they could cross that most lakes would have all hybrids eventually since there is such an abundance of both species in many lakes.

11. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

It must be a southern thang.

12. I did a quick search and saw it mentioned for stocking in ponds. Something was mentioned about a lower reproduction rate. Other than that I have no clue as to whether they occur naturally.

13. Nightprowler

thanks for the help guys. the link also showed a black nose crappie. I caught 1 last year from Caesars Creek and it was cool to look at. First one I ever seen.