close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ID Help?

Discussion in 'Wild Edibles' started by Mi-Mic-Kay, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Found these towards the bottom of what I believe is a pignut hickory.

IMG_20170918_174531867.jpg

IMG_20170918_174538462.jpg

2. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

"Northern tooth fungus"...not edible....the teeth are the spore bearing surface

Mi-Mic-Kay likes this.

3. set-the-drag

set-the-drag Johnny tsunami

4. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

Yup! Found some of those last year for the first time. Amazing what you see when you keep your eyes open! I've been keeping mine open, but unless we get some rain, I may not see much.

I also found it interesting that the Audubon guide says that Northern Tooth "grows high up on maples". I found mine low on an oak, and you found yours on a hickory.

Mi-Mic-Kay likes this.
  5. set-the-drag

set-the-drag Johnny tsunami

I noticed that to! I was a little confused but I guess anything it possible. It pretty much states only grows high on maples. I have noticed some descriptions are a little hard to follow in that book but then again I had reading problems when I was younger. Idk anyone else find descriptions hard to follow??

6. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

I think that sometimes you have to take issue with the written opinions. Especially when you see things with your own eyes that are different!

It's like saying morels "only" grow around dying elms or apple trees. Well, they do grow there, but that's not the only place. I like Michael Kuo's comment. "Mushrooms will grow wherever they want to!" He's found morels growing at the bases of big red oaks. I found my best flush this past Spring around a big Sycamore. There were old apple trees in the area, and there were a few morels around them. But, the major flush was around that sycamore tree. Seems like the mycelium is spreading out.

I've also found them around big, old cottonwoods.