close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ice?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by snake69, Feb 1, 2008.

1. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

Anuybody make their rounds today? Wondering how the ice survived this warmth and rain attack.... Would like to get out, but all the places I would go, Mosquito, W.Branch and such, are a good drive for me. Hate to get all pschyed up and then get somewhere only to find unsafe ice. Sure would appreciate all the feedback.............

2. went to atwood dam launch...ice is shot there!!!1" neer shore and covered in 1-2" of water!!!:mad: not that i wanted to fish there...just closest to check...

3. wellington had 3 to 3 1/2" and Findley had around 4". Fished Findley for a coouple of hours. only had one bump.

4. Tha ice I was on yesterday was borderline. Even broken up near shore. After the warm up and rain I doubt it man!

On a plus note, hit the rivers man! Ice is out and chrome is a running.

5. castmaster00

castmaster00 very avid fisherman

what river did you visit?

6. snag

snag

walked out off r.springs ramp this afternoon and drilled 7 holes about a hundred yds off the ramp had 4.5 to 5 inches on all the spots,and a inch of slush-water all over still a solid ice, shore was strong getting on.went home, rain had stopped got my stuff went back out only sayed a very short time ,started to rain pretty good,plus the gas auger i picked up last spring fired up fine at home i get out to wb and it takes a dump on me got a crack-hole in the gas tank,great the only holes i had were the single ones i made earlier,tried one spot then said the @#$#@# with it.may go sat if it gets cold tonite and the rain stops..

7. I fished osp last night good ice.some fish.

8. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

i appreciate those ice reports. going somewhere in the morning, where, i dont know.

9. snake69

So many options, so little time (and money)! I'm thinking maybe I should just hit the river, as in the Ohio River...guaranteed to get walleye there and some sauger! Just don't think I want to stand in a few inches of water all day. It's not over yet, I'll just wait until some of it hardens up. Of course with all this warm weather in the next few days, that may take a good week or more! Thanks for all the responses though, and I'm sure we'll hear some more before the nights over......both good and bad!

10. checked the club pond...has 5+ good ice still!! will hit it in the am!!!!

11. I fished the rocky from 12 till 2 today. Water was rapidly rising and vis. was getting bad. Only one taker on quarter size chunk off skein.

Sunday morn I'll be back as the rivers should settle a bit.

As far as the ice, Im surrprised good ice has stayed around? Glad to hear it.
    I wonder why the lake I fished was so affected whyle others wernt. Maybe more rain?

12. snag

snag

ice at ladue was 4.5 to 6 in. went way out nw of boat house this morn only one out till a guy came out at 10:30,when i left only got two white perch and sea gulls took them while i was in the shanty,the slush frz up but felt weird cause the water under the layer wasn,t frz up yet ,it will tonite ended up at w.branch it had about 5 in of ice off the ramp a r springs rd only one out that way,got two channel cats for the time out there. going back to la due in the morn,will be nw of boat house i know it,s safe in that area...

13. castmaster00

castmaster00 very avid fisherman

does anyone know of any lakes or ponds that have a spring and dont freeze?

14. hardwaterfan

i hate that feeling. feel through ice like that once, but it was way thinner. the ice i found today on a large pond was about 6". still nice and clear.

15. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

Had that thin layer of slush at Mogadore today! Definately a weird feeling. BTW ice on the main lake was a nice and clear 5". Fish didn't cooperate at all:(

16. snake69

I pulled into Long Lake today, about 25-30 cars in the lot. Didn't talk to anyone. Planning on going there in the morning tho. Went past Nimisilla after that, stopped and talked to the only 2 guys that were there, said they weren't doing any good and were getting ready to move. They said there was 4" of ice, no water laying on top, same as Long.(no water on top, that is)

17. hardwaterfan

snake was that in a small bay or out on the main lake?

18. ggrem

ggrem OGF Member

Was up at mosquito yesterday and the ice was still a solid 4-5 inches in most spots that we fished. It also had that 1/2" of water on top of the that was somewhat frozen, it was definitely a weird feeling when you walked because that layer cracked each step. Anyway the bite for me was terrible as it has been everytime Ive been up there this season(ice).

19. snake69

At Long or Nimi? At long, as I don't know my way around, I pulled off the main road and went back a good ways to a good size parking lot that was at least half full, about 25 cars. At Nimi, it was the northern most parking lot on Christman, only 2 guys there and not doing good, but 4" of ice. Is that the answer you're looking for? If not, let me know.