Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time of year again, where I start getting amped up for ice fishing. Here's hoping for a GREAT ice season. Who else is looking forward to a cold winter this year? Anyone want to try and hookup and get out sometime?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm ready for a long ice season so I don't have to make so many trips up north

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm ready for a long ice season so I don't have to make so many trips up north

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app
I hear ya. This year I don't think it will be in the budget to make a trip up north. But now that my wife is getting back to work, we'll see. I still wouldn't mind a trip up to Saginaw bay or Mio, though. I have family in both places, so I can skip the hotel costs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
ive been looking forward to ice fishing for the past month. From what people are saying we are supposed to have a really cold winter. I really hope we can get on the big lake this year :)

·
fish breath
567 Posts
Hopefully I'll have to spend more money on propane tanks for my heater than I will gas money to travel for ice.

·
Registered
214 Posts
After the last couple of years, some friends decided to take an early December trip to Devil's Lake if things don't look good. Made it to Simcoe and St Clair on one trip last year but Simcoe did not impress me. St. Clair beat it on size and was equal on numbers. Did make it on Erie for 3 days by foot. Managed 4 eyes.

·
Set The Hook`
4,212 Posts
challies did you find a descent perchin spot on st clair?? any pointers? we went a few trips last year but managed small perch but good gill's....we are going to stay up there for a few days this year and want to finally get on a perch bite!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sounds like you were fishing the bay. I don't go there except to visit Dennis at Bass Haven for bait, license and catching up on old times. I prefer to go to St. Lukes to fish and get into water 12 foot deep. Has to be some weeds on bottom otherwise keep looking. There will be a tree line out of St. Lukes if the ice is fit. Follow it about a mile until the water gets over 3 foot then there is a drop off that gets you into 10 to 12 foot. I use a flasher unit to tell me if any are there and it seems that tipdown setups really work well. I love going to St. Clair and would bypass Devils Lake, ND if ice is good on St. Clair. PM me for any other questions.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I bought a bunch of ice fishing stuff about 3-4 seasons ago and had a great time. After that I really haven't used any of it. I'm really hoping for a solid season around here this year. I'm talking about a solid couple months would make me very happy. If I don't see any good local ice this winter I might just sell my stuff. I've been up to St Clair one time and had a blast but I can't really afford to travel much in the winter due to being laid off. Maybe I'll be looking to hookup with someone to share expense. I love winter and miss yrs ago when we got a lot of snow and ice

·
Registered
440 Posts
After the last couple of years, some friends decided to take an early December trip to Devil's Lake if things don't look good. Made it to Simcoe and St Clair on one trip last year but Simcoe did not impress me. St. Clair beat it on size and was equal on numbers. Did make it on Erie for 3 days by foot. Managed 4 eyes.
I've had nothing but good luck at simcoe the past 2 years!! I like fishing Mitchell's bay but never got the amount of slobs like simcoe produces ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1380711034.659249.jpg

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1380711099.958939.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I fished there this last February. Fishing was great. Stayed at the "Gypsy by the Lake". It's a bed and breakfast. Friendly host. You are within walking distance to the lake. This is in Jackson Point. 1-866-484-9959.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1380744953.116903.jpg

If you have the time an money make a trip up to lake of the woods on the Canada Minnesota border. You won't be disappointed. You can't really go wrong with a resort up there all are friendly and willing to put you on fish. I've been going up there for 6 years and it is a ice fishermans dream. Tons of fish,lots of action, and the multi species opportunities.

Here is 1 days limit for 10 guys from last year and we had 4 more guys still out on the lake that also had limits.

But if anyone does want to meet up this ice season I'm a diehard and always looking for someone to fish with

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've been to Lake of the Woods icefishing and I can vouch for Erieangler 51. It was nonstop action with multiple species and we had the place to ourselves. Stayed at Flag Island Resort. Awesome trip.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Devils lake, lake of the woods and simcoe are all some of my bucket list ice fishing trips. Hopefully one day soon I'll be making good enough money to make those trips. Until then, it's gonna be local spots and maybe Saginaw bay or houghton lake.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've been to Devil's Lake 3 times and the most expensive part of the trip was the gas to get there. We stayed at a place called the Topper for about $26/ single person room a night and were happy with it. The owner even let us bring our shanty in the room to thaw out. Always tried to fill our vehicle to cut cost.

·
Bud n Burgers
2,492 Posts
View attachment 84256

If you have the time an money make a trip up to lake of the woods on the Canada Minnesota border. You won't be disappointed. You can't really go wrong with a resort up there all are friendly and willing to put you on fish. I've been going up there for 6 years and it is a ice fishermans dream. Tons of fish,lots of action, and the multi species opportunities.
Here is 1 days limit for 10 guys from last year and we had 4 more guys still out on the lake that also had limits.
But if anyone does want to meet up this ice season I'm a diehard and always looking for someone to fish with
Do you fish the Rainy Rive /Baudette area? If so, what outfitter do you use? I always enjoy going up there, have always caught some fish, but have never been placed on fish like those in your pics. Maybe I've been staying at the wrong resorts.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I generally stay at zippel bay when I go up but have stayed at rainy river resort, Cyrus resort, and a few over in warroad when nothing in baudette can be found. We don't use guides just get on the snowmobiles with the gps and hit spots we know produce or that look good. Those fish in the pic are from a 16 mile trip out on the lake in the truck and another 6 miles that were Only reachable by snowmobiles. Fished that area almost every day for 7 and had the same results. We were up by garden island. But most times we fish where the fishings good keep up to date on reports while were up and follow the bite.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts