close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ice Video that May Save Your Life!

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by tpet96, Jan 11, 2005.

1. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

All ice anglers should watch this clip at least once. It is 9 minutes long, but well worth the download and watch time. Shows you what happens when you go through the ice, and the stages of hypothermia.......detailing how much time you have to get out of the water, how to get out if you don't have ice picks, etc. VERY valuable.

http://www.exn.ca/video/?Video=exn20020325-icewater.asx

2. Having fallen through the ice twice many years ago, I can vividly remember each time to this day like it was yesterday.

My personal safety arsenal now contains the following.
    Artic Spurs
    Picks of Life
    A throwable plastic coated boat cushion with 50" of 1/4 nylon rope. The rope coiled together with a thick rubberband for quick release with a big loop tied on the end.
    Dinks gave me a Mustang Survival Suit this year for christmas.
    Hopefully I'll never have to see how well it works.

Should you do "Take the Plunge"
    always carry with you in your vehicle towels, blankets, extra warm clothes, socks, extra dry shoes. Carrying these extras could save your life.

3. Just an after thought?
    Instead of hauling the wifes favorite comforter for a warm blanket, you might want to try a rolled up sleeping bag instead.

4. It's a great clip. Lewis posted it under the sticky "A MUST SEE" thread before the first cold snap we had. Very important info.

Can never be too safe.

5. Having only been ice fishing a few times, I did learn a lot from the video. I am new to hard water fishing but I do enjoy it. It does take time to get used to the ice expanding around you. It's a little nerve racking. But I learned that you can last longer if you just relax and stay calm and wait for help if can't get out by yourself. I still won't go ice fishing alone.
    Bryan

6. crooked stripe

crooked stripe fishn and flyn

Great learning experience. I just wonder if I could keep my cool long enough and I guess one would never know unless you have been there. I sure plan on having a lot of people around when I fish the hard watrer. I seen the video come up the last time it was posted but couldn't down load. I received a DSL hook up yesterday and as soon as I clicked on the link the movie was playing. Great service to have. Keep safe this winter!!!!!! John