Ice Update 1-1-09

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by bassmastermjb, Jan 1, 2009.

1. bassmastermjb

bassmastermjb The Lucky One

Just got a call from Icebucketjohn.Said there are 3 guys fishing OSP at 3pm.He also said he'll be out there in the morning on his bucket if anyone else wants to join him.Things are looking up !!!!.......Mark

2. Perchy101

Perchy101 Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Okay Okay - I give up - Where is OSP? I've looked and looked for Old State Park and can't find it anywhere.

3. swone

swone ol' pal Steve

Perchy: do a google maps search for state park dr in akron oh. It is part of the portage lakes. Once you find State Park Dr just follow it on the map from state rt. 619. The road dead ends into the park, you can't miss it. It is a fun place to fish, but you probably won't be bringing home 30 keepers or anything.

4. jay2k

jay2k Inch short

Checked it this morning. 4 to 6 inches on the south shore only. Didn't walk out in the middle because it looked like it just froze the night before. Be careful the ice is still very shaky when I was walking and drilling holes. I figured I'd post since I just read there fishin' on it already. As always, don't take my opinions, just check for yourself. Most of that lake doesn't look ready to fish.

5. Perchy101

Perchy101 Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Thanks... Will maybe be coming from Columbus... I just want to get out on the Ice and doesn't matter the drive at this point.

6. you might want to wait another week if the forecast stays true. We will be on most lakes next weekend.

7. fish master

fish master 2005 senior member

anyone going from my area let me know ill ride along just pm me let me know...

8. Wow that is a lot of ice. Ladue south end and Punderson is covered.

9. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

WOW im shocked. thanks for the info guys, it means a lot. it must have not all melted then. i wrote off ice fishing for this weekend! thats incredible. i havent been looking since the big warm up, but i did notice that all of the ponds and retention basins are all frozen over in my area again.

10. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

I really couldn't believe it either..... I'm gonna wait it out a few more days. That place gets nuts at the first word of "safe ice". Could be 50 people show up to fish on a small area, making that shaky ice real SHAKY!

11. fish master

fish master 2005 senior member

they should put live web cams on some lakes that would be cool.

12. I have my pre-surgery tests this afternoon, but I'm going to swing by there when I'm done just to check... May get out there tomorrow or Sunday.

I'll take the camera and take a few pix...;)

13. ParmaBass

I just talked to icebucketjohn....He's fishing now, said the ice is 2-3" as of about 8:45 he was the only one out there. He said he was staying in pretty close. I'm contemplating, I need to go find a coin to toss....

14. anyone here anything about palm or clr yet?

15. Checked this morning.

North - 1"

Miller - 1", Still has an open area.

16. mosquito ice by 305 ramp ranged 1.5-2.5inches didnt go out very far got thinner the further i went out

17. I just got off the ice from Old State Park (Portage Lakes)., Friday 01/02/2009.Fished for 3 1/2 hrs. Ice was between 2"-3 1/2". A dozen other guys showed up afterwards. Fish action was steady for me. I caught 23 gills, mostly dinks, but did have 6 nice ones. The ice is OK, but ya can't do stupid!.

My only problem today was my 2 lbs Polaris leader kept breaking on me. It broke 4X for me. Lost some darn good pin-mins b/c of it and a few nice tuggers. Dont know if it was old, rotted line, but I'll be changing my leader asap. (Suggestions are welcomed).

Will most like hit it Saturday morniing before I go to work... either there or Mogadore (Congress Lake Rd), if its safe.

18. ParmaBass

I couldn't bring myself to drive down there after my pointless hour drive earlier this morning. I might see you down there tommorow morning if that where you end up going. Down to 18 tonight, that might help a little before the rains come on Sunday AGAIN! Did anyone venture out towards the channel?

19. Yeah, even my son, Nathan, was out there. (It;s only 2" out that way. He wasnt doing any good though. I told him to move southward where I was getting all my bites. I was using maggots.