close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ice shelter

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by CountryKat, Jan 1, 2005.

1. bassmastermjb

bassmastermjb The Lucky One

Kat, If you read the details of the Cabela's shanty you will see it comes without a base.You need to supply the plywood and hardware.Plywood is heavy and will also absorb water.Depending how often you go fishing in the winter, you will need to replace the plywood after so many trips.If there is snow on the ground the wooden bottom will act as a snow plow and make the job of pulling it much harder.You need to find a shanty that has a plastic base that acts like a sled with a tapered end so the shanty will ride on top of the snow.Also, with the wood absorbing water, after your fishing trip you would need to set the shanty up in a heated garage until it drys or the canvas will get moldy and rot.I always set my shanty up after a days fishing too, but it is much easier to clean using a towel wiping up any water or ice that had accumulated during the day.

2. cw261

cw261 Member

I second everything bassmastermjb says - I have a home made shanty (that I will part with real cheap) that I used 2x3 runners underneath the plywood. It is much more difficult to pull over heavy snow than the plastic based shantys. Your link did not work for me, but if you were looking at the ice fishing tent, we saw it at Cabela's in Wheeling and it is very cheaply built - probably not worth the $120 they are asking for it.

3. CountryKat

CountryKat Fish On!!!

4. cant go wrong with the clam.

5. Cw, How Much Are You Asking For Your Shanty?. I Work With A Guy That Just Wants Something Inexpensive. Is It A 2 Man?

6. cw261

cw261 Member

Sliderville - Check your PM's

CountryKat - like I said before, I just quickly looked at the Cabela brand shanty when I was there, but I don't think the quality was anywhere near my fish trap unit. I would imagine the clam shantys have the same quality since they are made by the same people.