close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ice question?

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by saugeyesam, Jan 25, 2005.

1. last weekend i checked the ice on a pond i fish in the summertime ive never fished this pond through the ice before but anyway the ice was about 3 1/2 to 4 /1/2 inches thick and most was clear ice i didnt feel safe fishing on it last weekend but im really wanting go this weekend do you think the ice will be any thicker this weekend or should i just forget about it for now and go back maybe next weekend if the temps stay down.

2. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

hey ssam thats a very tough question to answer with any sense of responsibility. theres so many variables involved....mainly how much snow is on it (the more, the worse) and how cold these nights get....

all of us are gonna have to play all waters by ear, day to day....this is a weird season and i really wouldnt blindly trust any ice, let alone ice unseen.

3. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE WHAT IS SAFE.

4" of clear ice is considered safe ( if ice can ever really be considered safe) for ice fishing.

If you have 4" of clear ice on the entire pond it would be safe (many ice fisherman, and books, use this as a minimum safe standard) to fish. You need to verify that there really is 4" everywhere. DO NOT assume that the pond will have equal ice thickness everywhere especially if there is snow cover, and even worse with drifts.

Just check the thickness everywhere you plan to walk, don't cross any areas that you haven't checked.

We had a new member Bdrape, report this week where he fell through the ice this past weekend by leaving a pond across an area that he had not checked.

If you haven't yet, I would suggest watching the video's that Lewis has posted in the forum, about what to do if you ever do fall through the ice. Bdrape said that it helped him when his cold dip occurred.

Good luck fishing,
    Kim

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015