Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always started my seasons fishing for walleyes but this year I thought I'd give the ice out game a go. Any ideas or input? How soon after the ice breaks up do you start? Baits? I need no locations, just a game plan. Thank you.

· Registered
10,390 Posts
Don’t overlook the culvert/ditch/small stream inlets. Those have water just a bit warmer coming into lakes or rivers(plus food?) which just might draw some nice craps, gills, perch. Redworms are a good choice here. Below dams is another hot, early spot to try. Some of our Brethren know well where these spots are-a few report on them.

· Registered
386 Posts
Sometimes you need to cover water. One day last march we looked shallow and so did most others but we ended up fishing a deeper main lake channel and hooked up pretty steadily. It seems we almost always can find fish in 15 to 20 feet of water.

· Registered
1,477 Posts
I look for pad and stem fields. Small jig and bobber very shallow work very well for me. I’m going to try 8lb test this spring as I lost a lot of jigs using 4 and 6 last season. Those stems are tough. Didn’t get any walleye but lots of good panfish were caught. Early March was best.
Yep. The pad and stem fields can hold plenty of fish. May need to go even heavier though. They are tough. Lost plenty of jigs with 8 lb. Gave up fighting with them till can’t find fish elsewhere.

· Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How’d this work out for you? I tried a couple “ideal” spots from shore. No fish there.
I got as far as buying my license but have yet to get out. I had a knee operation in January that didn't fix my problem and in the meantime the other knee went south. I received more cortisone shots (a waste) and will get gel shots in July. I guess I'm heading for two knee replacements and I'm currently walking like a duck. :/ Not the way I expected this Spring to be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.