close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ice Makers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by atrkyhntr, Apr 14, 2005.

1. I make most of my own ice saving money by using milk and pop containers filled with water then stuffed in the freezer. For camping they can't be beat because the melted ice can be used to make coffee or in meals where fresh water is required... I'll use a small hatchet to cut the containers in 4-5" circles then peel off the plastic if I need the ice for quicker cooling like over fresh fish or beer ;)

2. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Me too atrkyhntr, my Grandpa showed me that trick many years ago!! :) A small (quart) size bottle also does wonders to help keep minnows alive when the bottle is frozen and placed into your minnow bucket.

3. ..sure does good point...

4. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I have a big chest freezer. I take five gallon buckets, and fill them 2/3rds of the way up with water and freeze them. Not only is it free ice, but it keeps the freezer from coming on to keep at a lower temp less frequently.

I take the frozen buckets out on the porch, and pour a pitcher of water over it, and the huge ice cube slides out. I then break it into pieces with a hatchet, and throw it in the cooler. At the end of the day, I take the large pieces that haven't melted, and throw them in a Hefty bag, and put them back in the freezer.