Ice in Michigan

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by Reel Thing, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Perchy101

Perchy101 Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Now its time for it to slowly work its way south. Looks like after Friday the temps are going low.

2. George,
    You heading back up to Rose this year? We haven't decided where we are going to go yet. I would like to find a good pike lake in the same area or a little closer, but haven't had time to look real hard yet. I liked Cadillac, but I would like to find a smaller body of water and learn it better.

Kevin

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

George,
    If you go back to Rose, let me know. I'm going to try to get away this year and make that trip. My brother has his licenses and wants to go.
    Keep me updated.

4. swone

swone ol' pal Steve

Any reviews of the rose lake fishing and lodging situation would be greatly appreciated. I have been wanting to take a trip to Michigan for years but have never had the time AND money. This year I might have both and would like to go ice fish until I couldn't lift my arms.

5. ress

ress

Try greatmich.com has good info.

6. Hoss \ Dale defiantly planning on making a trip up to Rose there are several little lakes in the area and cadillac is maybe 20 mile further
    I'm looking at Wells it's only 48ac supposed to be full of pike
    Craig has got a list of the area lakes on his site
    This link will give some of the maps of the lakes in the area
    http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-30301_31431_31560-67605--,00.html

Swone
    This is the link for the motel/bar and grill good food as for the rooms lets just say there is a bed tv and shower I thinks it's 35-45 bucks a night 15 mins from the lake 2 mins to cold bevs
    http://www.travlersbar.com/
    Rose is 370 ac perch walleye bass pike and crappie I've mostly done good on the pike perch and crappies seen the eyes on the camera just not on the hook
    The Eyes Have it is the tackle store in the area Craig is great guy and will help you out
    This area seems to get hammered with snow so if you're planning on taking a atv check with Craig about the conditions before you haul it up there I've not been able to use mine since 05 snow just too deep
    my avitar is from Rose the last time I used my atv
    You can also check so of my old posts over the last couple of years
    Hope this helps
    Geowol

7. swone

swone ol' pal Steve

thanks geowol I think I am going to go after the first of the year. If anyone can get away during the week I have plenty of room in my ride.

8. We fished Rose last year a couple days, and stayed over by Cadillac Lake and fished there as well. We found that the fishing wasn't all that much better than here in Ohio, other than the fact that they had good ice for sure, and it is easier to plan a vacation that way. We caught a ton of fish, but they were normally small ones. The pike were fun, but normally 15-24 inches. Perch were small, gills were o.k., crappie, we caught a few decent ones that we kept, but that was all the eater size fish we caught.

I like running the tip ups for the pike, so that is the main reason I will go back up. If we had good ice in Ohio, I would definitely just stay here though. I know the lakes a lot better, and would feel more confident since I spend summer fishing here as well. I'm sure over time the learning curve shortens, but last year we felt we spent a lot of time map reading, using the camera to find weed edges/structure, drilling a ton of holes, and there was too much snow for an ATV while we were there. Needed a snowmobile to be mobile.

9. I agree with HOSS 100% The main reason for going is that we didn't have ice here and Presque Isle
    But it's a good trip
    George

10. Eyes

Eyes

Yes George, we have good ice now 4" to 10" are the reports I'm getting. Definitely too darn much snow, just keeps coming. Rose Lake is doing real good, I'm hearing of good catches of Crappie. I've even heard the guys are getting a few Walleye. There are some nice Perch in Rose too. If you stop in, ask for the map I have, it has all the lakes available to fish in the area and how to get to them.
    Craig

11. Eyes

Eyes

Hope to see you again this year George
    Plenty of ice up here and lots of snow. Fish are biting good.
    Craig

12. Hi Craig
    Hope to be up and see you soon
    Try to do something about all that snow;)
    Have a great Holiday
    Geowol
    George

13. Eyes

Eyes

I heard it as going to snow every day until the Detroit Lions win a game, could be a while. :)

14. fish master

fish master 2005 senior member

Lake cadillac mmm dont get me started on that lake, lived up there 15 years and never did any good on cadillac or mitchell which is right next to it,,, now if you go to the wellston area 23 miles east of cadillac theres tons of ponds and nice sized lakes with 10'' gills huge crappie and other speices.iv came out of some of them ponds with bucket fulls of gill no smaller then both ur hands put together.......i would go up there right now in a heart beat if someone eles was drivin...lol...nice place to vacation.... -fish master-:B

15. fish master

fish master 2005 senior member

hey man ill ride with ya my dad lives in the next town over, love to go bak up there..

16. I am thinking about heading up to MI with my dad and brother this weekend. Does anyone know any good spots to head up to that will have safe ice for this weekend. We will be heading out of Cleveland. The closer the better, but safe ice and decent fishing is a must. Any recommendations on where to stay would be much appreciated.

Eric

17. ress

ress

Try greatmich.com has good info.