close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ice flies?

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Teeray, Jan 23, 2005.

1. With all this bad weather i miss fishing so bad that I am just about ready to try ice fishing up on Erie. The only thing I can't understand is how you get a good back-cast in those little shanties....

I'll have to work on my roll-cast I guess.

teeray

2. You use what is called The Pile Cast when ice fishing inside a shanty. You pile the line in a neat coil starting with the size 18 Prince Nymph at the bottom of the pile. You then gently nudge the whole mess into the hole and hope for the best. :p Be sure to use a sinking line. :rolleyes: Should you foul up and get a tangle, it will give you something to do. :( Good luck and let us know how you make out. ;)

3. Ron forgot to tell you to jam your pole down the hole 1st then set up the shanty around it... too hard putting a pole together after the shanty is ready ;)

BTW your welcome :D

4. Thanks to both of you for the advice...I never would have thought of those things. However, I think I have a better solution. I am building an ice shanty that is 230 feet long and 70 feet high. It will be dropped on to the ice by a Sikorsky freight helicopter. I'm going for the state record for walleye caught on a spey rod. I just have to work on casting accuracy to hit that little auger hole.

5. I'll be there with bells and whistles...
    or at least a couple cold ones...
    your idea was done before but I think the streamers were tied using turkey vulture feathers which of course came off a protected bird and thus the fishing part never was started :( when the warden came to check out that HUGE shanty ;)

6. Sounds great, but no need to tote those cold ones all the way up there. I'll have a fully stocked bar with a bartender...right next to the hot tub. I'm sure we'll be able to work something out with the game warden, if you know what I mean!

7. This is going to be a long winter. :rolleyes: :eek: :p :D

8. I know L2F, you think the shack-nasties have caused the cheese to slip off my cracker, huh?

Well maybe just a little.

9. Don't try to blame it on the shack-nasties :p

10. atrkyhntr,

Shack-nasties = cabin fever
    Cheese slid off my cracker = I have officially lost my mind

terray

11. Along with a bunch more of us. :D

12. Hey I resemble those remarks [​IMG]