Ohio Game Fishing banner

Ice fishing local upgrounds.

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  AtticaFish 
#1 ·
Just wondering after the weather we have had recently with the warmup and wind etc. If anyone has been out on any of the local reservoirs around fremont ohio. Like the clyde res, green springs res, bellevue res. I know we are not allowed to ice fish the new res here in fremont which is kinda dumb. I think we may have to petition the city and odnr and see if we can make that happen. But was just looking for any ice thickness updates. I usually fish the bay but am worried with the warmup and the rivers flowing thay the ice out there isnt safe anymore let alone the water has to be muddy.any info on local res ice conditions would be greatly appreciated thanks alot

#2 ·
Welcome to the site. I fished Bellevue #4 on Sunday. Ice was nearly a foot thick out away from shore but had much thinner ice near shore from the warm weather last week. However...... they were pumping water in to the reservoir when i was there so no clue how much water they have added since then and what it has done to that thin shore ice. It sounded like they were pumping water in to #5 as well from reports of muddy water there. Check and double check the ice with your own eyes. Good luck and stay safe!

#7 ·
Same here, I live in clyde. You dont have a location on your profile so I didnt know if you had fished them or not! If I was off work I would meet you at Clyde and find some fish!

#9 ·
Good luck man. I wish the numbers were in there like they used to be but unfortunately they are not. I am in the works in trying to get fremont reservoir approved to ice fish on it!

#13 ·
Right now there is no ice fishing allowed ,....though I heard a rumor that it was just because its so new that they wanted to lessen the pressure on the fish population for a time to get good and established and that eventually it will be open to ice fishing , but that could just be rumor. I would love to fish the ice there but in a way Im kinda glad we cant , thats just more fish being taken and before you know it they are all but gone like at Findlay.

#10 ·
I was just going to ask Sheldon what the action on the new Fremont Res is , what do you mean no ice fishing, call the Ohio Dept of Wildlife. I believe Fremont signed an agreement with the city, the state will stock the body of water with appropriate game fish and everyone will need a Ohio fishing license, it is private and could have been no license needed. Along with the agreement the body of water is to stay open to fishermen 24/7 period.

#15 ·
The same thing is going on with the new Marysville reservoir. It's new and guys want to get on and fish it because some perch were stocked this past year. Most are dinks but there are a few decent ones. I'm all for letting it progress and fish to grow some but it would be nice if they opened it up some. It's not different than lots of other reservoirs up in NW Ohio as they are for city water supply.

#16 ·
I have had this same issue with another upground in NW Ohio. Resolved it somewhat, I am still unwanted but officials just leave me alone. The excuses were no rescue trained, unsafe conditions, on and on. I then talked to the local Game Warden and he confirmed that he is checking it for licensed fishermen and good luck fishing it. The police were not in the same thoughts.

#17 ·
I've been asked to leave 2 different reservoirs while out ice fishing by city police officers in 2 separate small towns. Both reservoirs DO allow ice fishing, but the officers simply did not like me being there. Their job is public safety. One time i was there at night and the other time was during a thaw and it was almost 50°...... but i was on over 18" of ice. I questioned it on one of the occasions and the other time i could tell right away there was not going to be any discussion about it and moved on. When i fished Willard over the weekend, i had an officer stop up near the boat ramp and walk down the rocks to talk to me. Ice was deteriorating quickly, but he was a fisherman as well and wanted to know if i was catching anything..... along with making sure i was safe. ;) It all depends who you talk to and how you respond to the situation.

I personally have never seen any issues with ice on upgrounds when they pump water out. Always hear people talk about ice bridging over the water, but i have never seen it. The ice has always sagged down and just made a slippery slope around the edge. I have seen ice go to crap in a hurry from water being pumped in though. I always hope that most ice anglers would use common sense and simply check the ice as they go on these reservoirs.......... but i know that is not always the case.

#18 ·
I have a good story.... I was fishing Willard about 10-12 years ago in March. The edges were bad and had to use a board to get on the ice. I was fishing the point on the east side when I flipped open my shanty to see emergency vehicles and a big crowd of people near the ramp. I was thinking somebody must have went through near shore when I heard someone say “subject standing near the ice shanty; Exit the ice immediately!” I walked across the res to the ramp and several emergency workers met me to make sure I was ok. After a brief discussion I was informed that an individual walking around the top of the res saw my sled on the ice near my shanty and thought it was a dead body so they called 911. There were city cops, county sheriff deputies, state patrolmen, the fire department, a couple ambulances and a dive team with all their gear on. Even though everything was good, they made me get off the ice.

#20 ·
I have a good story.........
Oh wow, i actually remember hearing about that from my mother-in-law who sits on top her police scanner! Never heard the actual story though, just the gossip/rumors she dug up. I was only a couple years in to ice fishing on my own back then, didn't have half the safety gear i have now. My MIL about read me the riot act over the guy they had to rescue from Willard and she thought i was going to die every time i went out. Now she just rolls her eyes and thinks i am crazy.

#19 ·
I would be pissed if i had to leave for no reason other than people don’t know $$it about Ice Fishing. I love ice fishing above grounds in March when the ice is thawing. The action can be ridiculous every day. I had a couple day stretch a couple years ago in late March it was upper 50’s -60’s and the ice was around 16” and the smallies and walleye were committing suicide. I don’t even know how many of each I caught because I was using tip ups also. I almost didn’t even have time to jig fish. I did let every fish loose over that stretch . I was also catching catfish and perch but the smallies and walleye were on the hunt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.