Ice fishing Canada

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by roger23, Dec 11, 2007.

  1. some new stuff

    Two lines may be used for ice fishing except in a limited number of waters (see the Exceptions for the Zone in which you are fishing).
    You must be within 60 m (197 ft.) at all times of any line or tip-up you are using when ice fishing and you must have a clear and unobstructed
    view of the lines being used at all times.
    Ice fishing huts must be registered with the local MNR office if they are being used in the following Fisheries Management Zones and
    must be removed by the dates indicated below:
    Residents and non-residents with a valid fishing licence may fish
    with one dip net, one seine net, one spear or a bow and arrow for the
    species outlined below.
    Dip nets may be no more that 183 cm (6 ft.) on each side if square, or
    183 cm (6 ft.) in diameter, if circular.
    Seine nets may be no more than 10 m (32.8 ft.) long and
    2 m (6.5 ft.) high.
    Spears cannot be possessed on or within 30 m (100 ft.) of the edge
    of any waterbody except when fishing for carp and white sucker as
    described on this page. Northern Pike spearing is not allowed.
    Bow and arrow: includes all longbows and crossbows.
    * In this Zone, only a few waterbodies are open for winter fishing
    – see Additional Fishing Opportunities for Zone 17.
    · You do not need to register your ice hut in Zones 1-8 and 13.
    · You do not need to register an ice hut if it is a tent made of cloth
    or synthetic fabric that has a base area of two square metres
    (21.5 square feet) or less when erected.
    · Ice hut registration numbers must be at least 6.3 cm (2.5 in.) in
    height and clearly displayed on the outside of the hut.
    · Whether or not an ice hut removal date applies to your Zone, it is
    an offence under the Public Lands Act to leave your ice hut out after
    ice break up.

    Anyone who is not an Ontario or Canadian resident (see definitions,
    page 5) is considered a non-resident for the purposes of fishing
    licence regulations. Most non-residents need an Ontario fishing
    licence to fish in Ontario.
    • Non-residents 18 years of age and over must purchase a fishing
    licence. (NOTE: Non-residents 65 years of age or older are not
    exempt from requiring a licence.)
    • Non-residents under 18 years of age may fish without a licence
    if accompanied by an adult who has a valid fishing licence. Any
    fish kept are part of the catch and possession limit of the person
    who holds the licence. As another option, non-residents under
    18 years may purchase a licence to have their own limits.
    • For non-resident groups of children (at least five people under
    the age of 18 years) there is a special licence for members of an
    organized camp. This licence is available from ServiceOntario/
    Ministry of Natural Resources offices (see page 96).
    NOTE: Non-residents camping on Crown lands in northwestern
    Ontario are subject to conservation licence limits except in the
    border waters area (see page 12).
    The 2008 one-year licence fees listed in this Summary are in effect
    from January 1, 2008 until December 31, 2008. The 2008 threeyear
    fees are subject to change after August 31, 2008. For the
    location of the licence issuer nearest you, contact the Ministry
    of Natural Resources. A list of Ministry of Natural Resources
    offices is provided on page 96. All fees include GST.
    The Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) has embarked on a
    project to improve the fishing and hunting licensing system.
    These improvements will mean that non-resident anglers and
    hunters will be able to purchase Ontario fishing licences from
    home, using the Internet or the automated 1-800 phone system.
    In addition, the ministry will also be developing an automated
    licensing system for private licence issuers to improve service to
    both resident and non-resident anglers and hunters.
    All anglers and hunters, including non-residents, will need a
    unique identification number for this system to work properly.
    For that reason, MNR will be introducing a non-resident Outdoors
    Card, effective January 1, 2009. The non-resident Outdoors Card
    will be similar to the existing resident Outdoors Card and will be
    required to purchase an Ontario fishing licence, except for the
    one-day licence.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015