Ice conditions

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by Wormdunker69, Jan 17, 2008.

1. I live right on the lake so I will try and give ice conditions every day.

Cross everything that you can for luck and hope, lol.

Bill aka wormdunker69

2. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

I'm waitin' for the pm and some brandy to sip! I got a new camera I want to try out too!

3. Sam,

I regret to inform you that the main lake is wide open and the finger by my place has about 1/2" of nasty ice. Guess I better get dance lesson from Big Dady and help get the show on the road.

Bill

4. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

wormdunker thanks for the updates, they are appreciated. the next few night should be interesting. hoping to get out somewhere next saturday.

5. i always wondered how quickly ice could form. Like once you get that skim with temps below freezing how quick until its thick enough to walk on?

j

6. Thans men,

No problem getting a report, only have to walk 60' to the lake.
    Reports will keep comoing daily.

Bill

7. I heard before and has always seemed to be about right, that 24 hours of 20 degrees will form 1 inch of ice. Like you said that is after the skim ice is formed.

I'm hoping with the single digit nights this weekend and Highs in the teens, I will be on some small ponds by monday. I need 3" of clear ice to feel safe. Which means 6" of cloudy or white ice. If you have some of both, 4 inches is pretty much the accepted safe thickness.

Be Safe and Good Fishing

8. Ice report for today, 1/19/2008.

Main lake is open and finger by my place has skim ice with some of the edges still open.

Temperature here is 18 degrees.

I'm still dancing but Big Daddy has not shown me any of the steps that he uses, lol.

Bill aka wormdunker69

9. farm ponds are getting some ice. I have a small pond in my backyard, about a 1/4 to 1/3 an acre. About 1 1/2" of solid clear ice!

10. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

You guys can come stay in Denver we have an extra room lol. Reportedly 6 to 10 inches of ice on most lakes. Will be out all day on Monday :D

11. Temperature here is ZERO but the wind is not helping with the ice making. Main lake is still open and the edges on the finger where I live is still open water. Have to get the wind to die down.

:mad:

12. hardwaterfan

that warm up that we had mustve really warmed the bigger waters up a lot. thanks for the update.

13. bassmastermjb

bassmastermjb The Lucky One

Wind finally chilled out.Looked out my window this morning and Lake Rockwell is completely frozen, was wide open at 7pm last night.What a beautiful sight!! Next weekend I'll be sitting in my shanty somewhere...........Mark

14. I plan on checking tomorrow, then spend the rest of the week putting on new line, then deciding where to go. More than likely, Old State Park first time out, but if possible, I may break tradition and head someplace else... I will let you know.

15. Do it fast, the forecast shows more warm temps in the 2 week.... I see 50 and rain, 48, 44... selling the ice gear, come on spring, this waiting for ice is for the insane......

16. those long range forecasts change daily. I have a feeling that we will be sitting on 5 inches of ice by next weekend and maybe 8-10 by the following weekend. certainly enough to handle a little rain or warm temps for a few days. THE DEEP FREEZE IS HERE this week so im not going to complain at all.

17. sure hope your right on the deep freeze!

18. Just checked my 1/3 acre pond and I was a lttle dissapointed to measure only 2 1/4" of ice. With another 0 degree night in the forecast maybe 4" or so by tomorrow.

19. 3" as of 7pm tonight. There will be at least 4" tomorrow morning and close to 5" by the afternoon.

20. hardwaterfan

smallie 75 hang on to that gear. the forecast looks great. you had me going there for a second. no worries. take what you can get if and when it comes. the time is now.