Ice Conditions at AEP

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by OSU_Fisherman, Jan 13, 2009.

1. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

Hey guys, I was just wondering what the ice is like down at AEP right now. A couple of us are planning on heading down there Friday, but I wanted to see if anybody knew how good the ice was. I figure with the temps this week and the fact that most of the ponds are protected from the wind that we'll be good to go.

This will be my first time ice fishing, so if any of you have any tips for getting on them at AEP then I would appreciate it. I have fished down there several times when the water is soft, but I've never really targetted panfish so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

I would use extreme caution down there ice fishing. Many of those ponds are deeper than you would think and there is rarely anyone around down there if you go in. Those ponds close to Campsite C are 35+ feet deep right at the dam. I don't know the current conditions, if you've never ice fished before it might be wise to start out at Buckeye Lake first where there are others fishing. Merely a suggestion, let those strip pits get good and solid for a week or so.

3. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

I plan on ice fishing there on Friday. There is nothing better than reeling in gills from 20+ feet! If for some reason the ice isn't good, I'll turn around and fish Buckeye. That is what I had to do last year.