close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ice Auger Diameter question

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by KSUFLASH, Oct 20, 2004.

1. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I have an 8" auger that I am considering to retire this year and buy a smaller diameter one. Main reason is the effort to drill holes with the 8" is much more effort than the benefit of an 8" hole. I pulled the largest crappie of my life from a 6" hole.

My question is what would you recommend as far as a manufacture as well as diameter. I am pretty sure the sizes start at 4" diameter and up to 8" diameter.

flash----------------------------------out

2. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

My Dads Lazer 6" cuts through ice like a hot knife through warm butter. Im sure 90% of ice fishermen would agree. You dont even hardly need to press down, just turn the handle and it sinks in by itself!

Im too stubborn to downsize, I always hope that Ill catch a fish that wont fit through a 6" hole! :) Plus I like the extra space that the 8" hole gives you for the vex float. But thats just me.

Hard to beleive but a 6" hole has only 56% the surface area of an 8" hole. Thats only about half the area. That makes it so much easier to drill.

Anyhow, my opinion/answer to your question would be a Lazer 6".

3. i like a 6 in hole to they r fast i use to have a 8 ich but that was hard

4. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

An 8" drill is okay for ice up to 5" thick. Anything thicker, i use my 6" laser. I bought an electra 8" battery operated auger for the thick stuff(8" and better).I can get close to 20 holes on a charge. Its just a little heavy dragging it out with all the other gear.

5. If you ever step into a snow covered hole in the ice, you will instantly see another good reason to use the smaller auger.

6. KSUFLASH

speaking of stepping into holes. Was at Mogadore ice fishing last year. I was setting up the shanty, bapenn was chatting with TxTransplant, and all of a sudden I hear a bit of yelling going on. Look out of the shanty, and bapenn stepped into a hole that looked like someone chiseled it out and was way more than 8" in diameter. Needless to say he was a bit cold. Entire leg up to his crotch went in. TxTransplant can tell ya more, I was getting warm inside the shanty when it happened. :)

flash-----------------------------------out

7. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I remeber that....Spud bars create more than one form of entertainment.....Anyone know how good cordless drills work while atached to augers?

8. KSUFLASH

haha, as exexec about the drill. They suck...i drilled 4 holes at Presque in the ammount of time he had half a hole done. Batteries don't last really long on the cordless drill tactic.

9. I used to use a 8 inch auger up until last year. I now use a 6" auger and will never go back to the larger one. It takes half the effort and half the time to drill the holes. Does anyone need a 8" auger??......JIM

10. My setup works great. :) I use a 18 volt Ryobi cordless and get quite a few holes out of it. Lewis and I did 12 holes through 5/6" ice on one battery.
    Too many people try to "FORCE" the auger rather than letting it cut at it's own speed. :( Just hold the auger in place without any pressure on it other than the weight of the auger and drill.

11. Didnt someone make and sell one?? Lewis maybe???

12. i met a guy who made his own drill powered auger. i think he said he had like a hole saw bit that the saw part broke off. and it just so happened to fit into the handle of the auger. I didnt mind drilling by hand last year. Dose the ice ever get much thicker than we had last year?

james

13. We used an 18 volt Craftsman drill with our 6" lazer last year and it worked great. I heard if you keep the batteries warm they last longer.

14. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

The thickest i saw it was afew years ago and was probably 15+in thick....the thickest i heard it got was in the 70's and was over 30 in. thick

15. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Fisherman nailed it!
    Yes, I have made quite a few auger adapters.
    They are very popular in Mich,Wisconsin and other northern states.
    In an average year they are not needed here in northeast Ohio,unless you have a disability.
    They are a great tool when used properly.
    You still have to have razor sharp blades,
    A name brand cordless drill of 18 volt or larger,
    and you must keep the batteries warm.
    A spare does not hurt.
    Shortdrift is sold on his.
    Several years ago when I first developed my design,we were on Piedmont which had 15"-16" of ice.
    We were getting 12-15 holes out of a battery.
    Each hole took about 20 seconds or less.
    You actually have to hold back on the auger,or it will go in the ice like a big drywall screw! :D

16. I downsized last year to a 6" Laser and it was WELL worth it!

17. Johnboy to answer your ice thickness question. Winter before last on erie out west of green island we had areas of ice that were an honest 28 inches. My gaff was only 24 inches long and you had to either start the fish up the hole befor gaffing (scary thought with a 13 lb eye) or get you arm wet (scarier yet) as it was one of those heat waves with a high in the low teens. I just pray that we see ice like that again and not like last year when the pucker factor was working over time every time out after we put a trailer though at mazurics.

Scott

18. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Just wondering if anyone has experience with both the Strikemaster Mora, and their Lazer?
    For the money what benefits are there to the Lazer?
    I'm looking at buying either a 6", or 7".

19. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

6" lazer buddy. You can't go wrong. That's what I have.....and to be honest....I might even consider buying a 4" for gills and perch.

20. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

I'm wondering if the 7" wouldn't be a good compromise and give a little more room for Vex and camera cables? Shawn,with the Lazer instead of the Mora will I have less effort overall in drilling holes? Whats the diff.?