Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I live in Delaware, and since I came to Ohio about 4 years ago I've never caught a pike. Truthfully I've never really tried though, and am not even really sure where around here I even have the chance of catching them! What rivers or lakes around here have them? I hear they'll hit "anything" according to some people, but I doubt that. It makes it sound too easy. No good fishing is that easy!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
A one-man wolfpack...
3,159 Posts
Hey - I'm no expert, but I believe that there are some pike opportunities in Ohio, maybe in the Scioto north of O'Shay (don't quote me on that), but if you really want to guarantee a catch, take a drive up to northern Michigan and try some of the lakes up there. Ohio isn't really a mecca for northerns. Anyway, I've been vacationing up there most of my life and pike are almost as easy to catch as the bass. They will hit anything, not nearly as difficult to catch as its muskie cousin, assuming that they are around in the first place. And they are a blast, no doubt, because they are ambush predators and haul ass like a freight train once hooked. You don't need to go as far north as the UP. Any inland lake should suffice, but I would do some local scouting first before committing to 6 to 8 hours in the car...

·
Hard Core Fishing Fool!
355 Posts
People do catch them in the Scioto north of Oshay. But your best bet bet is to get on the northeast Ohio forum. Check out Gone fishing bait and tackle. They have a sticky thread there. Give him a call and he will help you out for the Cuyahoga. Always wanted to try up there but haven't made it yet. People also catch them in the Mohican, Walhonding, Tuscawaras, Killbuck, Mosquito Lake. There are a lot of thread on the northeast forum. If you get some post some pics. Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I fish the river north of OShay nearly every day that it's fishable. I've caught several pike, but they are very rarely around. What I do is fish for smallies and sometimes I'll catch a pike or have one cut my line. Then, I'll switch to pike gear and leaders.

This year they were at my pool for a week or so, now they've moved on. Last year, they never showed up. I've only ever caught them in July and August.

If you go fishing there and only want to catch pike, you'll probably be disappointed. Also, if the pike are there, they will take any lure you throw out. Just fish for bass.

Attachments

·
Double lunger
1,560 Posts
I fish this area a lot. I can tell you the Pike are few and far between. I have targeted them specificly and I have 30 hours in and zero fish. It's best to go looking in other areas.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Great Miami south of Indian Lake/north of Vandalia holds a few, not plentiful by any stretch, but there's some here and there. Try big spinnerbaits, swimbaits or rapala style baits near weed edges and laydowns. They'll grab topwater in dawn/dusk too. Good luck.

·
Bass Slayer
48 Posts
We hooked into 5 and seen a few more Sunday. Throw something white and I'm sure you'll catch one

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have had 4 canoe trips to the Tuscarawas River this year and caught at least 1 pike each time. Search through the Northeast forums and You should find the info that you need.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts