Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new to the Kayak fishing world I have been having the worst luck catching fish. I have hit Hoover as well as Alum over the past few weeks and have had no luck at all. Not sure if it's me or the weather. Any thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Where are you targeting them?
I havent fished Alum in years but I always head for the wood debris in shallows close to drop offs and along shore if they are in feed mode.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Twin bridges , Oxbow at Hoover. North of Howard Rd. At Alum

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I've never caught a fish on a plastic worm. Try 4 or 5 inch tube jigs. If you're at alum, use a weighted jig head insert and vertically jig for them along the drop offs. If you want to fish them shallow, Texas rig the jigs with some rattle in them. Do a drop and fall method. You can also Carolina rig some creature-style baits. Might not hurt to try some scent either. Also, some options are buzzbaits and/or frogs in the morning, and consider spinnerbaits and chatterbaits.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Pounding spinnerbaits and hitting woods is great way to.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Never been to the places you mention, but try using any white variation of a super fluke, texas rigged. Fish it with a walk-the-dog retrieve, keeping it right at, or just below, the surface. Target the shallower areas, especially any with some kind of cover (weeds, pads, etc.)

If they're not in the mood to hit a steady walk-the-dog retrieve (which is rare!), switch it up. Do a few second pause here and there, go a little faster, or work it sub-surface; there really is no wrong way to fish it!

One really effective way, if you can find pads or weed beds with "holes" in them, is to cast it right on top of them. Give it a few seconds, then work the bait off of the cover and into the water. Let it sink for a few seconds, twitch, pause, then begin a normal retrieve. More often than not, they will hit as soon as your bait falls off the pad, or starts to sink in the "hole" in the weeds.

Also works in open water too, just keep pounding the shore and you'll get into 'em.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Being new to the Kayak fishing world I have been having the worst luck catching fish. I have hit Hoover as well as Alum over the past few weeks and have had no luck at all. Not sure if it's me or the weather. Any thoughts?
Thanks
So I live in delaware and fish alum and hoover quite a bit. First of all alum is tough to fish especially from a small boat. She doesn't give up the fish that easy. Hoover is usually decent, the problem there is deciding which structure to fish since its loaded with all kinds of good bass habitat. At alum i like to fish the south pool most of the time. Its clear and holds big fish. Fish the rip rap along the overpasses with a t-rig or crank. You can t-rig any soft plastic but i like to stick with craw immitations. At hoover i like to fish any woody cover or patches of weeds you can find. Start with a lake map there and find deep water close to the shore. Then fish the cover on that shoreline. T-rigs and spinnerbaits work good here.

My favorite place to fish for numbers is delaware lake. The fish bunch up on a couple different shorelines here. Once this water comes down if you would like to float it with me I would love to meet up some time. I would disclose the shorelines on here but if BKFT ever comes to Delaware Lake I would like to put a hurtin on those guys. :D You can PM if you want about delaware but its been up for weeks and who knows if it will be fishable again in the near future.

Another option is to fish the rivers when they come back down:( . And when it does they should be in full feeding mode. PM me if you want to float these sometime. Id be willing to hit alum or hoover also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts