close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I think they are starting to spawn....

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by catfish_hunter, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Went fishing all nite Saturday nite and dang near all day on Sunday....We caught 2 nice sized Channels about 2 or 3 lbs and 3 dinks....but nothing big like we had been catching before, and not even close to as many fish as we have been catching...So I think the bigger cats are probably starting to spawn.....

What do you guys think???

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I think are are also..the fishing will be slow for me anyway for about 3-weeks.

3. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Were you actually catching them or trot lining them???

I have been on some nice fish lately. some decent channels and quite a few flatheads. 10 last night.......none huge, but real nice and fought like crazy too. if you were lining, try the rod and reel.

4. traphunter

traphunter Guest

I caught 3 channels today that appeared to have been spawning, one of them pushing 10#s.

5. i stopped trot lining for a while cause I want to get into a few tournaments, and I dont want people to think Im cheating...Me and my buddy caught them all on minnows and night crawlers...

6. I caught a female channel yesterday out at Nimisila that appeared to be "spawned out". So either they have finished or they are near completion.

7. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

i think the cats are in the spawn mode every where right now just in different stages of the spawn at each lake. the fishing has been great for the 12-15 inch channel cats for about 2 weeks but i cant find anything larger. BUT i was out tonight and the cats were NOT biting at all, me and the wife and rockbass were at clendening for around 3 hours and only had 4 small channels between the 3 of us. the tusc river has been like the DEAD SEA for about 3 weeks now, cant find a decent cat anywhere. :mad:

8. same thing at tappen been catching 13 to 18 inchers some with eggs this week.

9. zap

zap

ditto at Charles Mill last night. First night in a few weeks that I've been skunked.

We had a couple decent runs...but no hookups. We normally have been catching 3-8 fish a night in the 3-10 pound range.

10. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Hey TCBA, don't say can't find them anywhere, I caught that one nice one at the creek the other day :D

11. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

The spawn sounds like a handicap for catmen. I love fishing for flathead so much that I will try to overcome the lack of feeding fish to try and catch one that will feed.

One thing I do know about catfish is that you can't catch them unless you are fishing.

12. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

I have caught a few Channel's & Flatheads from the Hocking River & Lake Logan & they are now Spawning in Both Areas. I cant wait until Mid July when It really picks up. August is the Best Month for me though.
    Cat Mazter